rattle can paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattle can paint question

I have recently rattle can painted my tank and other painted parts and put about 12 thin coats of clear on the tank to help resist gas spill damage. What is a good wax for rattle can enamel clear coat? Also how many coats of clear are enough? ( I could put more but I think I have it covered?) Thank you very much.

You have enough clear coat on it now.

As to the rest of your query....may I suggest something different?

Find a spare piece of metal and clean it so that it is ready for paint. Prime it, then spray it with the same clear coat.

You need only one good coat for this.

Let it dry and seal thoroughly, for at least two days, then dribble a bit of gasoline on it.

If the paint holds up, rejoice, then buy whatever wax you like.

The reason for this is that some paints will work well, while many others do not stand up to gasoline at all, regardless of how many coats you apply. Yes, that also applies to the higher-priced paints you have to blow on. Some are better than others, but only a few are impervious to gasoline.

My own experience was bad, as I was really pleased with the results, but it sure did not look good after gas seeped under the cap after a fresh fillup.

If the test object fails, you have your warning. Your paint can still last forever, but you must be VERY careful when filling the tank, and never fill the tank totally full, to avoid overflow.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
    X