Clear coat going bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear coat going bad

My 1980 kz1300 bagger has a very serious problem with the clear coat going bad. I thought it was sand from the sand blaster but it seems to be the clear coat on the 2 bags and the trunk.
    I use rubbing compound and a rag . After a lot of work, i get it off. Ant\y advive on making it easier for me??

Originally posted by scotty
    My 1980 kz1300 bagger has a very serious problem with the clear coat going bad. I thought it was sand from the sand blaster but it seems to be the clear coat on the 2 bags and the trunk.
    I use rubbing compound and a rag . After a lot of work, i get it off. Ant\y advive on making it easier for me??
    Need more information. Is the clear delaminating (peeling)?

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
      Need more information. Is the clear delaminating (peeling)?
      OK Thanks for the reply.

There is a dense cracking. It feels like sand. It comes off with a lot of fingernail scraping an we have used rubbing compound in one spot. it doesnt come off too easily though. I will go outside now and take some pics if i can.

The third photo is where we used rubbing compound. The whole surface was bad before the rubbing. It was an awfull job. Is there a better way????
      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2006, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's not what you want to hear, but I'm afraid there is no saving that short of a respray. The clear has given up the ghost......

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri
                It's not what you want to hear, but I'm afraid there is no saving that short of a respray. The clear has given up the ghost......
                Explain respray. I just want to get rid of the mess. Ill have it redone if i must. please tell me what steps are necessary.
                Also, can i scrape it off and just wax the paint???
                Can you give me some options please. I dont know anything about painting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri
                  Affraid so. The paint can't survive without the clear.
                  It will need to be repainted. No way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
                    Affraid so. The paint can't survive without the clear.
                    It will need to be repainted. No way around it.
                    ok thanks------------------

Comment

I had a tank on a 650 that was so bad it actually looked like rust forming, I had a high speed 90 degree buffer and some waxing rubbing compound and it went rather fast and looked great when done. The only thing is I had to do the whole tank to match the look. I think I used something like scratchout or tarnish gone or something like that. The buffer is the main part, you can do a lot in a little time with excellent results.

Comment

sorry bout your luck ol timer

Comment

Working...
                        X