No announcement yet.

Polishing plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In regards to my Tachometer/Speedometer unit....what if I wanted to make the black plastic part look new? Would all I'd have to do is cover it with the appropriate black paint? Or would I have to go through this whole plastic sanding routine?

Rudi
    1980 GS1100E

Comment

Re: Polishing plastic

Originally posted by pjackson
      Thought I had a great idea the other day.
      The sides of my airbox look terrible, gray and weather worn. Figured if I get off the top layer and back to new material they'd shine like new.
      So I wet sanded it with 220 and then used some polishing compound I had sitting around.
      They cleaned up pretty nice but not to the level I'd hoped.

So did I quit too early or maybe not use the right method?
      Is it even possible to restore that look of "brand new" to plastic?

Afraid if I paint it it'll just get tore up putting it back in the frame. It's a pretty tight fit.
      I had the exact problem on my airbox.
      Over a few weeks, I found that just by applying cleaner wax(Mequires) and a little elbow grease the color has really come back. A little fingernail scrapping to get the old grey color off and some Armor-All and now they look new.

Rudi, for the gauge covers try ArmorAll and patience. You should see an improvement over time.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Doug,

I don't suppose you could send some pics of your work? I'd really like to see how it turned out.

Thanks!

Rudi
        1980 GS1100E

rudi_anger@yahoo.com

Comment

I'll go out to the barn and get you a few pics.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Here a before and after look:
            Before
            [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZADcAu8bLEgK62JS6lHZemdJe2ffhDaSx2e!ItCRdMpm6JoQ! 38*FFscc13aVsfatf!heb28CtQY40v2levartYrz95xQZ0nDFN zXJpPKlUbuNXmHAxSw3ggcRvGtMChLc4pWDQnUF*Gfq0sOSMmO Q/1983-Suzuki-GS1100E-II-002.jpg?dc=4675426030057867196[/img]

After
            [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDiAtIZXWlBuce0Q!ifqiJ!BYSeqXd4vVMW4z5sWrMM9BpB4 Fd0jYPcHlOUNLkp8tGRb7qQIXYlR6P05Xi8DP6CwRBtrRjS3EG zGY*OVKPszmYAULkZoGqGlRAVvsVZ/Various-bike-011.jpg?dc=4675426030160866874[/img]

A little better then it was. Still have to do a little more polishing to it.
            As you can see, I was able to get the grey scaling off 8)
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

sweet bike! I've always like that one....

Have you touched up your Tachometer/Speedometer unit yet?

Rudi

Comment

I'm lucky to where the speedo/tach housing is in godd shape. No discoloring.
                Pretty lucky considering to original owner was in Arizona. I have the 1st title and only know the 1 name of how many owners?
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

So you really think the dark black color can come back without repainting the Tach/Speedometer unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi
                    So you really think the dark black color can come back without repainting the Tach/Speedometer unit?
                    Rudi, post a picture of your Tach/Speedo unit if you can. I think you should be able to bring back the color 8)
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I'm heading out of town for a week...so I'll post the pic then.
                      Thanks! :-)

Rudi

Comment

Rudi,

The GS750 I just got.......the handlebar control covers were in such bad shape that I was certain I was going to have to replace them. It was literally light grey in color and very rough.

Just for kicks, before ordering another set off of e-bay, I used a Q-tip and put a "liberal" coating of Armor-All on the covers one evening. Real thick!!!......and at same time also removed a lot of dirt that had worked itself into the plastic over the last 25 years with the afore-mentioned Q-tip.

Next day I wiped the parts down with a rag - they look practically brand new. Nice dark black. If it weren't for the somewhat worn lettering on the controls, you would think they were new.

Try the friggin Armor-All.......what have you got to lose?
                        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
                          Rudi,

The GS750 I just got.......the handlebar control covers were in such bad shape that I was certain I was going to have to replace them. It was literally light grey in color and very rough.

Just for kicks, before ordering another set off of e-bay, I used a Q-tip and put a "liberal" coating of Armor-All on the covers one evening. Real thick!!!......and at same time also removed a lot of dirt that had worked itself into the plastic over the last 25 years with the afore-mentioned Q-tip.

Next day I wiped the parts down with a rag - they look practically brand new. Nice dark black. If it weren't for the somewhat worn lettering on the controls, you would think they were new.

Try the friggin Armor-All.......what have you got to lose?
                          Nothing, that's what! :-) I'll give it a try! Thanks for the tip!

Rudi
                          1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                          X