Wider rims-form & function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wider rims-form & function

Can anybody tell me how wide of a rear wheel I can fit on a '79 GS 1000 L? I'm looking for a wider one (more grip) and I've seen a post about Marauder wheels fitting on '80's GS 550's. Would that work for me? Info would be appreciated.

rear wheel

I would go to a new swing arm, you can't get too big a tire on your bike with a stock one. You're a kustomizer, now!!

Comment

It is possible to go too wide... What do you want? Style/show? Function/Cornering?
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldGS
        Can anybody tell me how wide of a rear wheel I can fit on a '79 GS 1000 L? I'm looking for a wider one (more grip) and I've seen a post about Marauder wheels fitting on '80's GS 550's. Would that work for me? Info would be appreciated.
        He want's more grip.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

In my limited experience...

more grip = softer compound

softer compound = more wear

more wear = more $$$$$$$:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldGS
            i have a marauder wheel on my 78 gs 550 it was a compete bolt on with a nice beefy 150 tire

Comment

Wider tires are just that. Wider. They don't give you more traction in corners, but they do help if you're having issues with the tire breaking loose in a straight line.

With narrower tires the bike doesn't lean as far for a given corner speed. Which is a good thing. :-) It means you can go faster without dragging parts. And it keeps your suspention more vertical so it can actually do work.

The trend toward wider tires is entirely about dealing with the 100+ modern bikes put out. If you wanna see what racers do with 50hp.. Look at the 125cc motogp riders. They run 110's or 120's in back.
              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                Wider tires are just that. Wider. They don't give you more traction in corners, but they do help if you're having issues with the tire breaking loose in a straight line.

With narrower tires the bike doesn't lean as far for a given corner speed. Which is a good thing. :-) It means you can go faster without dragging parts. And it keeps your suspention more vertical so it can actually do work.

The trend toward wider tires is entirely about dealing with the 100+ modern bikes put out. If you wanna see what racers do with 50hp.. Look at the 125cc motogp riders. They run 110's or 120's in back.
                Wider tires (or should I clarify- modern, radial tires) have a larger contact patch and they do give you more traction in the corners as well as when the bike is standing up.

I agree that there is only a need for more traction with a 100hp+ bike.
                Currently bikeless
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I am just curious, ... are you outperforming your tires now? If so, is it in the turns or on takeoff?

I know my tires outperform my bike. Even hanging over the side of the bike I can't corner hard enough to break the tire loose (well, until I start dragging large quantities of metal along the ground, but that's not the tires fault!).

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
                    I am just curious, ... are you outperforming your tires now? If so, is it in the turns or on takeoff?

I know my tires outperform my bike. Even hanging over the side of the bike I can't corner hard enough to break the tire loose (well, until I start dragging large quantities of metal along the ground, but that's not the tires fault!).
                    LOL, been there SEEN it...\\/ :shock:
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      I agree that there is only a need for more traction with a 100hp+ bike.
                      Says the 3-4 tire a year guy

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                        Says the 3-4 tire a year guy
                        Touche' my friend. A point well made!
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

With this bikes forks I don't do a whole lot of high speed cornering. I was looking more for turning it into a drag bike (still streetable, though). But pretty much all my racing is in a straight line.

Comment

Hmmmmm?

Could y'all elaborate on the swing arm mods please. Back in the day (as my daughter says) we used to put CB 500 swingarms on our CB 750 dragsters. The swingarm bolted right up and added one inch to the wheelbase. Only those "in the know" could tell the difference. I'm building a '78 GS 1000 and would be very interested in doing the same to it if at all possible. Is there a "Suzuki" swingarm that will bolt up and give me a little more width and / or length? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Guy
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM.

Comment

...coming from a recovering 3-4 tire/year guy, going to a slightly wider tire (140), allows me to run the D205 radial. A tire that grips like crazy, works great wet or dry, and lasts a long time. I get 10k miles on a tire now, vs 5k with bias ply of various makes. So now I'm a 2 tire/year guy, saving money, and getting better traction at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X