Looking for a different tank for my 79 GS1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a different tank for my 79 GS1000S

I have a 79 GS1000S, (Wes Cooley colors, Blue/White) and I want to get a different tank. I want to keep the stock one stock colors, so I am looking for a replacement. I want to find one to paint red like the bike he raced. My question is was the "S" model a different tank, or was it just the paint that was different? Will different models/years work for my bike?

Thanks
    Curt

Same model GS1000 tank will fit, not a G or L model.
    If you find a 78-79-80 year it will fit
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Where do you find tanks? I have a 79 750E that I need a tank for but sifting through bike yards has turned up no results. I'm getting quite discouraged.

Comment

His original or first GS1000 was a 78 like mine and had the indent running down the sides of the tank. That was why it was painted that way. Later models were flat sided and took the new paint job. The red/white paint job is from the 78 with the indent so if you want to really duplicate it get a 78 tank. The 79 bike he ran still took on the 78 paint even though it didn't have the tank indents.

The 78 is really the first Wes Cooley bike but they didn't start production for public sale of Cooley replica bikes until 79.

I know I know, useless trivia

Comment

Yeah, I found a replacement on ebay...had a bad rattle-can job on it. I sent it to the paint stripper, and lo and behold, it came back a 1978 w/indent...it had been bondo'd over. I was bummed at first, but then I decided it was more Cooley-like!

Comment

gs 1000 tank

There is one on ebay now. Many have bondo, due to handlebars slapping the tank....

Comment

Working...
            X