It won't look like this for long.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It won't look like this for long.....

Thought I would post a few pictures of the bike before the modifications kick in. The bike was imported several years ago from the US and despite the British weather only the front mudguard seems to have suffered any rot.
    The engine is shot, however I have a rebuilt 1085 just waiting in the wings and looking for a new home;-)

looks very tidy now m8 - look forward to seeing it done :-D

Comment

Is this why you wanted that magazine??

Going to make it into a Cooley?
      Me, I'd go with a sleeper.
      'Leave it looking stock, and put in a monster motor :-D

But that's just me.
      I do like the red and white stripe look.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

No Keith, I just like reading up on the yoshi bikes. Its not going to be a cooley rep', for the time being it is going to run as a 1085 with modern suspension ( not USD forks ), a titanium 4 into 2 into one and 17" spoked wheels. Over the winter I plan to shed as much weight as possible and replace wheels for astralites and replace the engine with a 1233cc item. I have all the above as I have been collecting parts for years and now its time to start putting them to work:-)

Comment

It's going to be hot man! I love it already. I seriously like that paint job and think it looks to be in really good shape. Once you drop the new power plant in it you should be all set

Comment

Thanks for the comments, it is real tidy for a bike that was new in 1978! The tank appears to be original paint but the seat base trim & tail section have been re-painted at some point in a slightly wrong shade of red.
            It is in fact the same paint scheme that was used on Suzuki's advertising poster after the GS1000 press launch.

Comment

The brochure shows mag wheels........dual front disk?

You have spokes.........I like spokes, I don't like cleaning them
              but I like spokes.

Maybe my S would like spokes? I forget where I saw one, maybe an
              Australian model?
              maybe Dink can help me find it.......
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thats right Keith, I think only the US got the early version fitted with the spoked wheels & single front disc. My mate has the same bike but his has mag wheels & twin disc's but the same paint job. ? Both are early bikes with the grooved tank and tail section.

Mark...

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                  The brochure shows mag wheels........dual front disk?

You have spokes.........I like spokes, I don't like cleaning them
                  but I like spokes.

Maybe my S would like spokes? I forget where I saw one, maybe an
                  Australian model?
                  maybe Dink can help me find it.......
                  The early GS750's had spoked wheels with steel rims, (same sizes as the "S" mags, i.e., 18" rear and 19" front) I've got a 1979 GS750E with spoked wheels and a twin disc front hub, which is quite uncommon, but my bike was a prototype cop bike, so that explains the second disc and caliper.

You can fit these wheels on a GS1000E, but you need to use the 1000 axle and spacers. I like alloy rims, but I don't like 17 inch wheels, they don't afford enough ground clearance (particularly for serious cornering) and IMHO, don't look right.

I bought some new 18 inch alloy rims, and they look better, and from everything I've read, are the best combo for handling on our bikes. If anyone wants some let me know, I've got a spare new set of 18 x 2.15 front, and 18 x 2.50 rear. (36 spokes, of course) Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Speaking of spoked wheels, did any of the shafties have them?

Comment

The only bike I have ever come accross that had both spoked wheels & a shaft was a BMW :-(

Comment

Originally posted by pan
                        No Keith, I just like reading up on the yoshi bikes. Its not going to be a cooley rep', for the time being it is going to run as a 1085 with modern suspension ( not USD forks ), a titanium 4 into 2 into one and 17" spoked wheels. Over the winter I plan to shed as much weight as possible and replace wheels for astralites and replace the engine with a 1233cc item. I have all the above as I have been collecting parts for years and now its time to start putting them to work:-)
                        What bike arethose discs off??? It's the stock GS1000 hub I presume?

And what is the 4-2-1 pipe off???

Comment

The disc's are slightly re-drilled 900 Honda Hornet and the hub is Suzuki GT750.

Comment

Well, it now has a new front end. GSX600f forks fitted with a set one of springs to cope with the extra weight, top yoke modified to accept risers & standard UK spec GS1000 chrome bars ( not the higher US ones pictured ) and the new spoked 17" wheel.
                            It looks good ), I just need new headlight brackets as the gs ones wont fit the 41mm legs and to decide how best to fit the Clocks & ignition switch. Pictures to follow soon;-)

Mark...

Comment

updated front end :-)

Just a few of pictures to wet your wistle ;-) Now that life at home is starting to get back to normal after a fraught month or so, I hope that the build will now pick up a little momentum. So watch this space....
                              Mark...

Comment

Working...
                              X