Modernizing an old seat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modernizing an old seat.

I had the classic, two bucket type "L" model seat that I hated!! I pulled the cover off and p[ut it back on the bike. Using a sharpie marker and a straight edge, I drew a line across the foam folowing the frame rail. I used a hand grinder to cut away the excess metal and a serrated knife to shape the foam to how I wanted it.

I then took some paper bags and made templates of the top, rear, sides, and buttstop and cut out vynal to match. After Sewing them together on the trusty sewing machine, I covered the seat in 1 inch of cotton batting found at the fabric store. Pulled the seat cover on and used scrap sheet metal and #8 screws to put in all in place.

Photos to follow!

i have a 1980 L model too.i want to see pictures of what you did if possible.i saw where your daughter took you camera.i did a humpectomy on my seat too.other than the ugly seat, the ugly taillight, the bike looks perfect in styling to me.I got rid of the buckhorn handlebars almost the same day i bought it.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Yeah, i did too. I have straighter, more street bike bars now. I promise to post a pic soon.

Comment

man, we are all on the same page on these bikes... i ditched the buckhorn bars, and want to change the seat (my wife had an aftermarket seat put on) but i still want something different.
        i also want to put a "ducktail" rear fender on and change the brake light to a newer LED light (brighter & safer)

i think this is the best part of owning an older bike, we are all not that afraid to try something different on 'em!

Comment

I had a steped L seat but i hacked out the step part and made it flat. than covered the seat with camouflauge. look at my signature picture and you can see.(click it for bigger picture)

Comment

I went after my seat with an electric carving knife. I lowered my riding position about 2" and moved my position back almost 3". I took it to a local upolsterer and had him put a cover on it.
            Its more comfortable due to the better riding position and better shape. I think it looks alot better than the original too.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Deesel
                I went after my seat with an electric carving knife. I lowered my riding position about 2" and moved my position back almost 3". I took it to a local upolsterer and had him put a cover on it.
                Its more comfortable due to the better riding position and better shape. I think it looks alot better than the original too.
                I love that seat! I love thoose tank emblems! I love that paint job!
                future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I love that seat! I love thoose tank emblems! I love that paint job!
                  The seat turned out better than I expected. I really is more comfortable than stock. I cut the foam down myself and the guy that owns a small upolstering shop, which also will do custom glass windows and custom decals, did a great job on the seat cover- I think it cost $80.00. This place is called "Linwood Glass" which is about 12 miles north of BayCity Michigan on M-13 in Linwood MI. Owned and ran by a retired guy and his family. Some may have heard of his son "Hollywood Blair Broisono" which is a well accomplished motorcross and harescramble racer.

The tank emblems I bandsawed out of brass and polished- took about 15 minutes to make. In my opinion the SUZUKI emblems resembled mailbox lettering. I didnt like them.

The paint is OEM 83 GS L colors. Im not sure how my 82 ended up with 83 color scheme- maybe a late production thing or a crash before I owned it.

I really appreciate the compliments- thankyou, thankyou and thankyou!

Comment

It's nice to see someone else from MidMichgan on the board. I'm from Reese (10 min. East of Saginaw). Hope you're a great mechanic in case I can't get my bike fixed.

Brian

Comment

Hey good to meet you Brian! I might be able to help you out with some things. Just ask any time!
                      Deesel@juno.com
                      Eric

Comment

I finally have a photo.

Comment

I might have to check that place out sometime. I live near Sandusky, OH, but have family in Fairgrove, MI. I love the way that seat looks.

Comment

Where is the PHOTO??????????

Comment

yep, nothing but a red 'X' for me, too... No photo of his seat. :?

Comment

Working...
                              X