handlebar questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handlebar questions...

okay...I'm stuck for the right word here, and don't want to use the wrong one. (red arrowed piece)

What is that piece called? (is it a riser?)
    Is it possible to order/swap in a set of shorter ones?

I'm looking to move the handlebars down some because I'm sittting straight upright now (long arms) and I'd like to be leaning a little farther over.

any help or ideas would be great.

It is a riser. The ES models are supposed to have had shorter risers.

Comment

I wonder if thats something I can find aftermarket. I'll have to measure the bolts and such, and start searching.

Comment

okay...new direction...what about clip ons? I'm assuming that if I pull off the risers, that will give me the spot to clamp the clip ons onto, correct?

Related question...37mm, right?

Or am I really lost on my understanding of this whole idea?

Comment

I think clipons would probably go too far in the other direction. Just guessing since they are attached directly to the upper fork tubes. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

well, I'm looking to move them low, and create a little lean while riding. I've got some really long arms, and at the level of the top of the triple tree is a decent level.

Comment

Yes 37mm. you'll have enough fork to clamp them on to. Just make sure the forks are jammed all the way into the triple tree, its limited because of the fork air system, but you have enough to clamp to.

I did clip ons with my bike. Just take off the risers, as well as the plastic bit between them, part 11 in the diagram. You can cut it and make it fit, but just take it off, its useless anyways.

Looks good, works good, and feels good. It’ll just take some fiddling with to get the best angle for your wrists. What I did was loosen the clamp bolt, sit on the bike until it was most comfortable, and then clamp them down.

It's only a 3 inch drop, there's nothing drastic about it. oh and ES bars aren't shorter from what I know. although some katana risers will fit and are 1.5" rise. same exact design, just shorter.

Comment

oh and if you want to see it, here's a picture. please ignore the tank.

Comment

that's exactly what I'm thinking. I've done some measuring, and my fairing won't interfere with a set of clip ons at all.

Did you use your stock controls, or did you swap out brake/clutch parts and pieces?

Thanks Luc.

p.s. That looks Hawt! (tank aside, lol)

Comment

I have a spare set of "ES" risers which indeed are quite a bit shorter than yours. Also, the holes at the top actually point the handlebars slightly downward, instead of the pretty much level angle of the "E" bars. The angle is similar to what clip-ons typically are, but starting at a bit higher point.

They're undamaged, but could use some paint. If you're interested in trying them, pm me, I'll send them to you for free.

If you like them and want to keep them on your bike, I'd be interested in getting your "E" risers. I'd like to try them on my 550, which currently also has "ES" risers.

I broke my back thirteen years ago, and prefer the seating position the "E" risers put me in. It doesn't seem to strain my lower back as much.
                    Last edited by Griffin; 07-20-2006, 09:39 PM.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

no control swap, except pictured is a newish (2002?) gsxr master cylinder, it takes up the same room on the handle bar as the stock MC, so it shouldn't matter if you have the gs unit. all other controls including cables and such are stock. the throttle cable needed some adjusting after installing, but you'll figure that all out as you go.

didn't know the different angles/height of the E risers, all depends on what you want.

I did have the ES fairing on my bike when I originally put the clipons on. no interference.

Comment

Working...
                      X