No announcement yet.

best paint options for everything except the tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking particularly inside the fins -hard to clean..but I guess nobody would see all the way in..and if you do do the head, it'll probably look better if you file the fin edges flat to the original aluminum after you paint, as a nice highlight....I'm not sure about painting aluminum that gets hot*...but if the can says 'primer", do that. It's definitely a better stay-on than without it on the pipes (I've been using the HighestTemp,Newset VHTs lately) ....so-called "Appliance paint" seems to work well on forks and clutch.stator covers..it's close to the factory powdercoat look, but it's shiny. I prefer shiny as being tougher (forks seem to get whipped by dust and road dirt) but you may not.
    Chromed Mufflers are the least preoblem... They don't get as hot and sanding up the chrome, paint actually sticks pretty well. I think chrome dust is hazardous so a dust mask and vacuum running might be a plan for your longevity.

* I note even the Honda Company has trouble keeping paint on their cars' valve covers...normally, zinc chromate is the proper primer for aluminum but I'm not sure about heat properties of it and it may not suit the spray-bomb solvents...something that would want experimentation- I'd maybe try a high heat enamel (with a brush..barbecue paint? )over it as a test patch over a period of time to see, first.

In other words, I'd be using different paint in different places..but if you want the whole thing with one paint, you can get a quart of barbecue paint and slap it on the "gone" spots every 3-6 months.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-01-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X