Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Rebuild Almost Done - 1982 GS650G - Seat questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Rebuild Almost Done - 1982 GS650G - Seat questions?

Hey all,

Decided to take advantage of the changing weather here in the PNW, and spruce up the GS650G that I received last Winter as a trade.

Running great, though idles at 2.5-3k at times, so may need to adjust some stuff if anyone has any pointers.

My main question is how I could get the seat refreshed?

Dime City has a Seat Cover Replica, BUT I do not see my model specifically listed.

Is this a good option? Are there any OTHER full seats I could purchase?

20220409_183953.jpg

I’d probably look for replacement seat in your area instead of fiddling with yours.
    As for “running great stuff”, suspect an air leak in carb boots or where boots meet cylinder head….and make sure you check valve clearances: don’t rely on the PO’s claims.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      I’d probably look for replacement seat in your area instead of fiddling with yours.
      As for “running great stuff”, suspect an air leak in carb boots or where boots meet cylinder head….and make sure you check valve clearances: don’t rely on the PO’s claims.
      Do you know what bike models/years fit mine? See a bunch of other 550's and different models, just don't want to grab something that doesn't fit.

I'll try the electrical cleaner trick near the boots, and replace as needed, I totally spaced on that so thanks for reminding me!

Not replying on PO's claims, I did 90% of the work and gave it a couple of once-overs to make sure things were good, including compression check and pulling out the carbs for some spot cleaning.

Comment

The 650 is a strange beast. There is not that much that transfers directly over from other models, and I think you'll find the same true for the seat. If you are looking for covers only, you can try Pit Replica and Saddleman. Both produce covers that fit and look good. I have one of each. The PR cover is a closer match to the original pattern on the '83. I sent them my old cover and they replicated it for me.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I've had all my seats reupholstered professionally, and the price isn't too high. $200 is the most I've ever spent and they look brand new.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I agree with nvr2old. If the seat pan is in good shape, you're probably better off getting it reupholstered locally. The service costs dear in Vancouver, BC, but I'm sure you can find someone near to you who could do it for about half of what we would pay up here.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X