Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which clear coat for polished aluminum (reviews?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which clear coat for polished aluminum (reviews?)

Anyone have personal favorites for clearcoating polished aluminum? Quite a few options to choose from commercially. My fork legs looked so purty a few months back, and they'll polish up fine, but they are oxidizing pretty quickly. I'm also doing engine covers, so heat is a factor. Everbrite, Alumaclear, Zoops etc, who's had good experience with what? I'm guessing clear powder coat would be best but I need to save $$...
    thanks all
    Mike
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450
    1999 VFR800

WIZARDS POWER SEAL. No clearcoating
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Even the oem clear pitted over time.
      I sprayed mine a couple of times and its not worth the expense
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I bought a few cans of Spray Max 2K High Gloss and am very impressed. You have to push a button in the bottom of the can to activate it, and wear a good mask. It comes out beautifully and is chemical resistant. Here's a pic of my tank I did, reflecting a cloud. The tank was pretty tired looking and this stuff just pops.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Don't clear coat!! Why do you think you had to polish them in the first place? Lol
          No signature

Comment

Ha ha, allright thanks guys. I'll check out the wizards.
            1978 GS 750 E
            1979 XS11 Standard
            1973 CB450
            1999 VFR800

Comment

I never have had any complaints with good old Mother's mag and aluminum polish. I got a little tub of that stuff about 15 years ago and have used on many bikes, to the point where the plastic of the little tube is disintegrating but there's about 1/4 left. Good $3 investment at the time. It takes about 2 mins to rub some on there. If leaving bike outside or riding in terrible weather, maybe that's an issue, I'd get a good cover. My bikes are garaged and just ridden for fun on nice days so they don't really have to stand up to the elements.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                I never have had any complaints with good old Mother's mag and aluminum polish. I got a little tub of that stuff about 15 years ago and have used on many bikes, to the point where the plastic of the little tube is disintegrating but there's about 1/4 left. Good $3 investment at the time. It takes about 2 mins to rub some on there. If leaving bike outside or riding in terrible weather, maybe that's an issue, I'd get a good cover. My bikes are garaged and just ridden for fun on nice days so they don't really have to stand up to the elements.
                I use Mother's too, it's always the last step in polishing process for me. Great stuff. Was more curious how to protect its result.
                1978 GS 750 E
                1979 XS11 Standard
                1973 CB450
                1999 VFR800

Comment

Mr Negativity here but I think the sliders and engine casings were anodized originally and then coated. Stripping them removed this protection and corrosion is thereafter nearly instant unless polished with a "polish" (aka a wax residue) constantly... Naturally, this wax gets burned off engine or beaten off the forks ....and if you just hard-coat stripped aluminum any scratch will corrode.. .

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    Mr Negativity here but I think the sliders and engine casings were anodized originally and then coated. Stripping them removed this protection and corrosion is thereafter nearly instant unless polished with a "polish" (aka a wax residue) constantly... Naturally, this wax gets burned off engine or beaten off the forks ....and if you just hard-coat stripped aluminum any scratch will corrode.. .
                    No anodizing on most gs bikes a few had the gold treatment but that may have been just paint. The gold calipers were just paint.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                      I bought a few cans of Spray Max 2K High Gloss and am very impressed. You have to push a button in the bottom of the can to activate it, and wear a good mask. It comes out beautifully and is chemical resistant. Here's a pic of my tank I did, reflecting a cloud. The tank was pretty tired looking and this stuff just pops.

Before pic? Amazing gloss
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Before pic? Amazing gloss
                        How I got it...

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

No anodizing on most gs bikes a few had the gold treatment but that may have been just paint. The gold calipers were just paint.
                          Too bad...Maybe it's worth looking into. It's very tough and works well on sailboat spars......The original coating had a certain look that had me wondering but it may just be they had a certain prep* before a coating was applied...

*The "certain prep" might be as in this found in Google group though I might try "Krylon" Clear that was recommended to me or just my handy can of urethane varnish...
                          "To do this, they need to be treated with an aluminum prep or Ospho works just fine
                          Ospho is a self neutralizing metal conditioner ( meaning you don't have to rinse it off but do wipe
                          the excess off) which can be purchased at most hardware stores or automotive paint suppliers. The
                          active ingredient is phosphoric acid which is a mild acid ( it won't burn you on contact but will
                          irritate the skin so you should wear rubber gloves). It's the same ingredient that's in navel jelly.
                          Phosphoric acid converts rust or ‘red oxide’ into ‘iron’ or black ‘oxide’ which is a stable
                          compound. It does actually kill rust and corrosion on aluminum in it's tracks! Then they are ready
                          to polish and/or re-clear.. Any good clear urethane will do such as Imron or I prefer House of
                          Kolor's UC1 clear. If it's done correctly. it will far outlast what the factory does and will save
                          you many hours of polishing... Whatever works for you.."

Comment

Working...
                          X