Help me decide upon a windscreen for my '83 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me decide upon a windscreen for my '83 1100E

With the cooler temps having arrived, I'm giving serious thought to installing a small windscreen on my 1100E. Its been quite some time since I looked at what's available, especially one that would accommodate a large headlight. So, I thought I'd ask for some help from others who may've dealt with this matter.
    Thanks in advance,
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

I am not a big fan of fairings on sport bikes but I did put on an Emgo one I found on my 1100e....I liked it

No signature

Comment

Nice and period cirrect
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'm not a fan of fairings either, so I vote "None." But if you must, follow Trevor's lead. He seems to be incapable of producing a fugly motorcycle.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks Trevor. As much as I agree with Rob re: fairings on sport bikes, NO!, I like the idea of providing some comfort JUST for the Winter.
          Thanks guys.
          Ride safe!
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

My '83 GS750ES came with the small fairing. I still have a Hugon Lexan I used to put over it for Winter riding (many people have tried to buy this off of me). I had no idea how rare and expensive that fairing is. Anyhow, I got the stock half fairing off of EBAY, with thee mounting bracket for something like $100 bucks. I color matched it. I love it. I was surprised I did, because I usually don't like fairings. Last year I picked up a set of rare Lockhart Lowers for my Suzuki, the guy was asking $600 dollars. no one bid. They came back with no Reserve, I got them for $50 bucks. The guy tried to back out of the sale, but I did get them. I have to color match them, will do this Spring. They look like the bike on the pic below. I know this is kind of opposite of what you want, the above bike with the Cafe style, well, does that ever really go out of style?

GS750ES w Lockhart Lowers.jpg

My Hugon Lexan next post
            Last edited by Suzukian; 11-08-2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

The Hugon Lexan. hard to find a Hen's teeth! :

weird_fairing_01-jpg.408.jpg

Comment

How about a police style windshield? No fairing, just that big vertical slab of plastic. That shouldn't slow you down...much.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                  My '83 GS750ES came with the small fairing. I still have a Hugon Lexan I used to put over it for Winter riding (many people have tried to buy this off of me). I had no idea how rare and expensive that fairing is. Anyhow, I got the stock half fairing off of EBAY, with thee mounting bracket for something like $100 bucks. I color matched it. I love it. I was surprised I did, because I usually don't like fairings. Last year I picked up a set of rare Lockhart Lowers for my Suzuki, the guy was asking $600 dollars. no one bid. They came back with no Reserve, I got them for $50 bucks. The guy tried to back out of the sale, but I did get them. I have to color match them, will do this Spring. They look like the bike on the pic below. I know this is kind of opposite of what you want, the above bike with the Cafe style, well, does that ever really go out of style?

GS750ES w Lockhart Lowers.jpg

My Hugon Lexan next post
                  Brilliant choice and patience tracking them down.
                  I was dreaming about track riding an 81 1100E, and what fairing I'd like. OEM is the best way for street riding and resale value, but for track I'd choose the Team USA Suzuki XR69 fairing.
                  suzuki-xr69-tribute-2.jpg
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That fairing,heck, that bike, is awesome!! I was working with what I had. Those front discs look almost as large as the rims. Awesome beastly motorcycle.

I just Googled and found that's an Airtech fairing. They make great stuff. They make a fiberglass version of the stock fairing for my bike. I would have to have one like yours to see if It would fit. Not something I'm interested in doing. I was thinking about contacting Airtech, as a lot of people have asked me about the lowers I have, and they are not to be had. I wondered if they would want to reproduce them. The original fairing windscreen is now being reproduced at a very fair price. When last available from Suzuki, that little windshield was over $600 bucks!
                    Last edited by Suzukian; 11-09-2022, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      How about a police style windshield? No fairing, just that big vertical slab of plastic. That shouldn't slow you down...much.
                      I don't know if you are referring to the Hugon fairing, but that fairing is very aerodynamic, and light. The last one I saw on EBAY sold for over $600 bucks, that was around 8 years ago. It was made from the windscreen of a Citroen Windshield, into a mold, that still has a patent on it, but is no longer available. I have thought of using it as a plug for a mold, making most of it out of fiberglass, and the top sections out of Lexan. On certain bikes, it looks very period. The protection if offers is astounding. Not for everybody, but it is an excellent fairing, especially for touring, and keeping the bike light weight. Impossible to find though. I'm the only person I know who has one.

Hugon-fairing1.jpg
                      Last edited by Suzukian; 11-09-2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I was most definitely NOT referring to the Hugon fairing. I take it you're not familiar with the style of windshield that is on EVERY police motorcycle in New York. Been that way for a century.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          I was most definitely NOT referring to the Hugon fairing. I take it you're not familiar with the style of windshield that is on EVERY police motorcycle in New York. Been that way for a century.
                          Something like this one, Rob? I would put that one on the Sportster for cold weather....
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Basic universal windshield I used for a few years worked very well:

fNbabXm.jpg
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That's the one, Bat, but please, not the Sporty. (For those of you who haven't been following, I hate most Harleys, but I WORSHIP most Sportsters. See 1972.)

Comment

Working...
                              X