Restoration GS1100E Trying to keep it Original Appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoration GS1100E Trying to keep it Original Appearance

Replacing rear sprocket on 80 GS1100E. Ordered one with correct teeth for 630 chain. Doesn't have same inside cut out (4 circles not 4 semi rectangle shape) even though pic looks same as stock when ordered. My question to anyone is how important is it while trying to do accurate restoration? Does it matter?

The guys on KZ Rider can tell you every piddling detail of the early Z1 bikes. Those bikes hold a high level of prominence, though. Does it matter? If it matters to you, the answer is yes. Do details like that affect resale value of a '80 1100E? No.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Trying to keep original appearance. Those round holes won't effect anything but the appearance, but really stand out as non OEM. Back in the day I ran a Suzuki RE5 sprocket on my 1100, just to slightly re-gear without anyone ever being suspicious. With the round holes everybody knew they were re-geared.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sprockets and chains are wear items so they’re expected to be replaced. I’m not sure you’d get one that looks like the original, even from source of OEM parts like this one.

Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS1100E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

You can see that the original part number has been superseded.

I don’t know how much a potential buyer may value the “look” of an original sprocket over one that is the same tooth count but different cutouts.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I think I'd mount the aftermarket one and you can ride the bike and keep your eye out for an original one. Easy to change later on if you find one. I find Suzuki guys don't sweat the details (or pay the prices) like some of the other brands do.
          1986 1150EF
          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

If it works is what matters. If you were going to sell it, and someone tried to beat you down for something so insignificant, you might not to sell that bike to that person, you'd probably never get rid of him/her.

Comment

Title of thread says "Trying to keep it original appearance". Everyone agrees the different looking sprocket would work flawlessly... But the round holes are nothing near original appearance. I'd think the OP will have to decide for himself how important the appearance is "to him". To enter any shows as Original, the OEM sprocket would be a must.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just a few years ago I saw an original 1968 LS88 Corvette convertible. Aluminum engine; heat, air conditioning and sound system not available. They expected it would fetch a quarter mil, but it very quickly sold for $800,000. Completely original. It started fine, but could it really be driven with 1968 tires?

A few years ago, I replaced the chain and sprockets on my 11EZ. Rear has 6 big holes, 6 small holes. Looks fine to me.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yep looks fine, works fine, but he said trying to keep in original appearance... I guarantee anyone knowing anything about motorcycles, and many who don't know about motorcycles won't think it looks original. Just thinking, did any bikes come with sprockets with round holes from the Mfg.

Comment

Well, one thing we can be sure of: if it was a Kaw, someone would be making sprockets that look like OEM.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I own a 2003 ZZR1200, it has only 4375 miles on it. I purchased it last year, before I was hospitalized. I have to admit, I can get anything for that bike. I'm upgrading it, have a new suspension link kit that has lowered the bike 1" inch, Nissin Brake calipers, Galfer Steel braided brake lines, Genmar risers, etc.

My '83 GS750ES, now that's a bike where my tire choices for the front is down to two! I purchased extra CDI boxes off of EBAY, now they cost a lot of money, and they are discontinued. The bike still runs strong, I purchased it new. 40K miles and still going strong, doesn't smoke, and handles like a scalpel slicing up the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                        ...handles like a scalpel slicing up the road.
                        Then you'll want Pirelli Sport Demons, front and rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Then you'll want Pirelli Sport Demons, front and rear.
                          The Sport Demon doesn't come in the proper size front for the 16" wheel.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I went to Dennis Kirk, and found 3 tires that would fit. Funny thing is that there wasn't a 100/90 x 16 Bridgestone Battlax tire before and there is one now. My Avon tire has only 1500 miles on it, it's in great shape, I really like that tire. I guess there are more than there used to be. Here's the 3 I found.

Roadtec 01 Tire by Metzeler,
                            Kenda
                            K671 Cruiser Tire,
                            Bridgestone
                            , Battlax BT45 Tire.

I am tempted to buy a tire for back up, put it in plastic, a black plastic bag, in my Barn. They aren't cheap though. My wife says I have enough motorcycles and spare parts. She's kind of right, but tires wear. I imagine there will be something I can use. There are 120/90 x 16 tires more prevalent, but squeezing a tire like that, oversized usually doesn't work out well.

Comment

From what I have gleaned after reading many, many, many tire threads on this forum, you would be wise to omit the Kenda brand completely.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X