Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to repaint a nearly perfect tank :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks,
    I will see if i can touch it with some light primer. Its' still a high spot so nearly any smoothing takes it back.
    To feather it, it may be a bigger primer patch than I want.
    I masked off today. but the weather is cool.
    We will see if I can paint, but times running short, so I may have to shelve it, or take the tank on a road trip.

image.png
    "You are replying to the most modest person you will ever know."

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
    1980 Honda CM400A
    2002 Honda Relex
    1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

Shot the base.
      It's not perfect, but it will do.

image.png

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
      1980 Honda CM400A
      2002 Honda Relex
      1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

maybe a larger picture... image.png

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
        1980 Honda CM400A
        2002 Honda Relex
        1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

nah they're all tiny...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Trying again
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
            1980 Honda CM400A
            2002 Honda Relex
            1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

Now Wet-sanded with 1000. Wet sand gas tank.jpg

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
              1980 Honda CM400A
              2002 Honda Relex
              1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

6 coats of clear.
                Wet-sanding and polishing will have to wait a few months, but at least it's protected.

Clear1.jpg

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
                1980 Honda CM400A
                2002 Honda Relex
                1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

I would advise for those wanting 6 good coats from a 2x Spray Max. Hang the tank from the end vs flat on a table.
                  The cans only like to spray level.
                  On the 5th coat, your mileage may vary, you may get an uneven spray if holding the can horizontal if you spray the tank sitting flat.
                  If however you hang the tank, you can spray a good even 6 coats on all surfaces.

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
                  1980 Honda CM400A
                  2002 Honda Relex
                  1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

I went from a 1/4 fairing to the half fairing on my '83 GS750ES. The problem was that the fairing was white with red and my bike is silver with blue accents. The local pain store had this stuff that you first just cleaned your tank (the out side) and the you did one wipe of this chemical, no sanding (this was a surface that needed no repair). The chemical causes a painted surface to bond with the paint you are spraying on it. I was able to spray the Silver, then after that dried, the blue over the red accents.

I didn't have to use any primer and they made paint cans to match the pieces I brought in. After everything was painted, I was able to clear coat the whole thing, using that same chemical, it came out great. The can is big, I have enough left to do my M.G. Midget, you use so little of the stuff. It's called "Paint Prep" or something like that. We're having a Nor'easter right now, so going to the barn to get the name would be a bit difficult. You had to let it sit for 15 minutes before you spray painted, sanding was not recommended. The surface becomes tacky, and that paint sticks, no runs. The fairing matches the bike perfectly.

Comment

This will be strike 2 for me on this forum due to the conflict of interest, : )
                      but I just bought a bike this weekend.
                      It sounds like Rhonda.
                      CB750k.
                      The decal on the right side that is white pinstripe, red pinstripe, and a large gold one is damaged.
                      Can see spending the 120 for the new decal, though this Rhonda is in very good shape, but I suspect I will strip and paint the base black and then mask off and rattle can the gold red and white.
                      The a bunch of clear, so similar to what you did above.

Alt

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
                      1980 Honda CM400A
                      2002 Honda Relex
                      1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

Cb decals.................
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Let us see pics please, or at least reveal the bike's age and describe it's condition. I'm sure every adult here recognizes the CB750's historical importance. They made a LOT of them in the 1970's.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Looks very good,Alt! I don't see a channel or ragged cliffs where the pinstripes are and noone else will unless you see them and point them out to anyone that will listen...

Comment

honda decals...jjust sometimes, you can find the right thing digging around at
                              Webike: Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Gears, OEM parts & Reviews
                              I've found the odd rare thing there that was very reasonable cost and arrived quickly

Comment

I have found with the availability of stripe decals out there, you can get really close, it not reproduce what you had, or find someone who can. I found the exact colors for my side cover for my '83 GS750SE and I was shocked that I realized I could just sand the ones on there, get them smooth enough, and use the new strips over the impression left, then clear coat the whole thing, and honestly, they cam out great. Maybe some perfectionist could find something, but it's good enough for me, I'm picky, but I don't look at me when I'm riding.

Comment

Working...
                                X