UK GS400B - rivetcounter's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK GS400B - rivetcounter's question

hi all - I've got two chain guards for my 1978/S GS400B, UK model. One is plain black plastic, the other is identical size but painted gloss black. Both have the Suzuki 'S' symbol inside, but no part number.
    Can anyone advise which one was the standard fitment on a newly-supplied bike, please? Thanks

Not sure which one (if either) would be correct, just want to wish you well on your Concours competition.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by GS400B View Post
      hi all - I've got two chain guards for my 1978/S GS400B, UK model. One is plain black plastic, the other is identical size but painted gloss black. Both have the Suzuki 'S' symbol inside, but no part number.
      Can anyone advise which one was the standard fitment on a newly-supplied bike, please? Thanks
      Well a long hard pore over google images may get you the info. One thing to bear in mind is Suzuki waas and is a parts bin engineer. My bike alone has some different parts from year to year and region to region. Is the painted gloss black OEM painted? is it metal that was painted to cover failing chrome perhaps?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I suspect that model came out in the UK with a metal chainguard - then someone at the agent's reminded them you have salted roads. Hence the plastic guard.

Around the same period here in NZ, some came with chrome chainguards, some painted, and some plastic. Depended which supplier had filled the parts bins last.

Comment

Thanks folks, and its def not a concours job going on here - it gets taken out on UK roads!
          I've had a good look at t'internet for clues but nothing definitive coming up - I think the parts bin/various options concept is probably a good call - I see the same thing with my GT250M.

Comment

Working...
          X