Front ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front ends

Can the front end of an 80's GR650 fit on an 82 GS650G?

From looking at part diagrams, The bearings are the same, but the stems look to be different lengths, so probably NO.
    also forks will be different lengths, and the offset different, which may or may-not change the stability (trail)
    But you really want to modify stuff, sure anything can be made to fit.

Comment

I'm looking at changing out all of the suspension to make more of a road bike, I was told the gs650g's are set up to go trail riding

Comment

Sometimes it's just a matter of pressing out the center stem. If it's welded, you grind down just enough weld to free it up, and press it out to use on the new triple tree. These kind of swaps take a lot of homework. I'm in the middle of one now, fortunately for me, it's been done before.

Comment

I've never heard that the 650G was intended to be trail / adventure type. A simple rebuilt with upgraded springs and cartridge emulators will be a big improvement over stock.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Anything can be a trail bike. You just have to believe (and have the right tires)
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Go to All Balls dot com and they have conversion bearing kits. I installed a 2004 GSXR front end on my '77 GS750 with NO modifications. However there has been reports that some have had to change the stem on the triple tree.
              See profile pic
              Current:
              1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
              1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
              1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
              1998 Chevy C2500
              1999 Rav4

Comment

I wonder if "AllBalls.com" has thrust bearings.

You can make almost any bike do anything if you do some suspension work, and use the right tires. You won't win any races, but you will be able to go places a completely road bike would have trouble going. Especially good if you live in an area with lots of farm roads, and hard panned roads, like the whole center 1/3rd of the country.

Comment

You’re not getting confused with a BMW G650GS are you, they’re a trail style machine
                  image.jpg

Comment

I put a 2004 GSXR 750 complete front and rear suspension on my 77 GS750... Do what you want... Trust me, you won't be the first. However, it might take some ingenuity...

Current:
                    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                    1998 Chevy C2500
                    1999 Rav4

Comment

Without doing it myself, I'd say "yes". It can be done. But my next question would be "why?"

If there is something wrong with the GS650 front end, and the GR650 front end is available for cheap, go for it! But I don't think there's any real benefit. Right off the bat you'll be losing half of your brakes since the GR is a single caliper setup.

Of the GR650s I've owned, swapping the front end with a dual disc setup was a priority.

Comment

These bots are starting to almost sound human.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                        X