"Aluminum Frame"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Aluminum Frame"

I have a 1983 GS550E (Blue/white). It has the "Aluminum" looking frame. what is the best way to clean it? The bike is all original and as such has some spots(not dirt) on the frame. I can clean the grease, but I am looking to get the frame to "shine" I am also assuming that whatever I use on the frame, I can use on the wheels too.

any suggestions? thanks

I'm not familiar with your bike, but I came across this website today while researching polishing that seems pretty helpful. The bike in this pic had the frame polished. Is this what you're looking to do? If so, check out the rest of the site. They even cover wheels or will take on what you don't want to do.
    http://www.englishcustompolishing.co...fireblade.html

Comment

The 550E/ES frame is steel, not aluminum. It was just powedercoated in a silver color. It won't shine up like aluminum. Rather, you could strip it and get it to shine, but it would start to tarnish and rust up at the slightest hint of moisture - like a bike wash or even a humid day. you'd have to keep every nook and cranny diligently coated in wax all the time - and that's just not feasible for a bike that's actually ridden.

The only thing you can do is clean it the best you can, have it re-powdercoated, or have the frame chromed.

(I'd advise against the chroming, as it would be expensive, lots of work, and would probably get damaged when you reassemble the bike)

Try a mild solvent on the frame - WD40 works well for greasy stuff, followed by good old soapy water and a detailing brush.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by Pearson
        I'm not familiar with your bike, but I came across this website today while researching polishing that seems pretty helpful. The bike in this pic had the frame polished. Is this what you're looking to do? If so, check out the rest of the site. They even cover wheels or will take on what you don't want to do.
        http://www.englishcustompolishing.co...fireblade.html

What a great website. lots of good info and some cool looking products.

I tried one of those sanding sponges from lowes last night and was blown away. it just ate up the oxidation and brought out the shine. and fits in all the little curves and crackes really easily.

Comment

Working...
        X