Different seats on GS models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different seats on GS models

So I want to buy a seat for my GS850G that imo looks great (or at least nicer than my current one) and the seller says it's for a GS850... but I can't find a picture of this saddle anywhere.
    I also looked for pictures of other models, hoping to encounter one that has this seat but got nothing.
    All pictures I use here are from the ad of seller. He just happens to sell two different types of seats, but claiming they are both for the GS850.​

Image 2023-08-07-14-51-33-Window hosted in ImgBB

Image 2023-08-07-14-52-05-Window hosted in ImgBB

https://ibb.co/pdgBz5h

I can tell you this much already: my GS850G "79 has a different "belly pan" that looks like this one:
    2023-08-07 14_56_44-Window.png

The million dollar question is: is this a seat from a GS850? And if anyone has a picture with it mounted, I would be so very grateful.
    The reason I'm asking is because I like the shape of the other saddle better and my current seat-frame connection thingy is in really bad shape so I have to fix it anyway.
    Might as well put new hinges and lock for the type I like better... but I wouldn't want to find out it doesn't fit at all because it was for some other bike with too different dimensions.

Hope I wasn't too vague and things make sense

I think I've seen a similar seat possibly on the early model GT series but don't remember if it was "factory" or ? Your seat pan pic is too small for viewing. YOu didn't share a seat pan pic from the replacement seat. Also, the seat latches/locks are different. Depending on the year of your 850, it might use the same latch as my '77 750.
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

It's not really hard to get some foam and Naugahyde, and just make your own seat corners. I have recovered many seats. "Joan's Fabrics" has lots of foam density types on sale, and the Naugahyde to make your own cover. You use the old one as the basic pattern, and make a brown paper bag pattern to make the pattern to design the seat you want. My Mom was a seamstress (and electronic technician), we had every type of sewing machine made.

She taught me a lot about sewing, and when I watch the car shows, and see all those guys makes big bucks recovering car seats, I get a lot of memories. I used to lay the Naugahyde on a car hood to let the Sun get it hot and pliable before stretching it over the foam.

Comment

Well there you go Diirk.
        I think suzukian just volunteered to cover your seat.
        See how easy that was.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

That seat looks similar to the Giuliari seats.
          I would send the pics to PandK in the U.K. They MIGHT have some info.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Dirk, i do not know what they ask for those seats, but i know of a very good upholsterer in The Netherlands.
            If needed they repair your own seat pan, and powdercoat it.
            Then they can make you the shape like those sport seats and put a new cover on it.
            Either a cover you send them, or make a new one for you.
            Looks great, i bring all my seats there.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Well there you go Diirk.
              I think suzukian just volunteered to cover your seat.
              See how easy that was.
              If we lived close to each other, I would gladly help you with this project. It's a neat feeling when you cover your own seat for the first time. I redid my 1975 CB400F seat when I realized I could still get the original cover from Honda. The foam had deteriorated, I found a sewing shop that had lots of different firmness foam varieties. I recovered my seat, it's in a box, in a climate controlled room (my house), and still look s great. You could do this yourself. It's really not hard. All you need is paper, or some cloth (canvas makes for a great template), and to be not afraid to fail. I have helped many people redo their seats. I have a great pair of Swiss scissors my Mom gave me. She taught me how to sew too. It's doable, totally doable.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and encouragement guys, what a wonderful forum!
                In the end I've decided to ask my mother to teach me how to use the sewing machine and make the seat myself.
                I'm usually not shy to try anything mechanical and owning a GS850 has made me apt at the electrical part as well so what the heck; why not venture into yet another part of the DIY-attitude

It's not going to happen anytime soon, but when it's done I'll post an update.

Comment

Sewing maching...? seat cover....? Thick vynal...? I am wondering how well a household sewing maching can handle thick vynal........

Major thing about GS seat pans (if you get back to needing such): Prior to 82 the set pans had hinges on one side and latch on other side (for seat to tilt up sideways). 82 and after had the latch on back and catches on front (for seat to lift up and back off)..

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Sewing maching...? seat cover....? Thick vynal...? I am wondering how well a household sewing maching can handle thick vynal........

Major thing about GS seat pans (if you get back to needing such): Prior to 82 the set pans had hinges on one side and latch on other side (for seat to tilt up sideways). 82 and after had the latch on back and catches on front (for seat to lift up and back off)..
                    I have an 81 GS750 with a rear latch.

Not looking to start an argument. I think the seat design was changed in 80, but I'm sure I could be proven wrong.

Comment

You missed "mother" ... mine had an oldfashioned sewing machine that was able to handle denim, double folded seams ... vinyl was easy
                      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Pewpew82 View Post

I have an 81 GS750 with a rear latch.

Not looking to start an argument. I think the seat design was changed in 80, but I'm sure I could be proven wrong.
                        79 and 80 were side-latched.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My "79 does indeed hinge to one side as opposed to lifting up and down. But when it latches, it still wiggles all over the place so I'll have to get that sorted.

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

You missed "mother" ... mine had an oldfashioned sewing machine that was able to handle denim, double folded seams ... vinyl was easy
                          Exactly. She's got a sewing machine that was inherited from my grandmother, so you can imagine. Might be a Singer, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

79 and 80 were side-latched.
                            Thank you Grimly, I change my thoughts to 81 having changes in the seat latches. I do know the 78 550 I have is side latched as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X