Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a close match for my 81' GS: Stardust Silver mettalic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a close match for my 81' GS: Stardust Silver mettalic ?

I want to paint my front fender and sidecover. Have any of you painted your GS tank,sidecovers or fender with a rattle can ?
    I'm looking for a very close match to Stardust Silver metallic/ part#99000-10209-737.

My tank,rear tail-section w/ decals and left sidecover are still excellent as the bike was garaged,from one-owner.
    The front fender has some rust showing through(moist sea air atmosphere)and I need to replace the right side-cover anyway;the original owner must have been carrying a very sharp lock/chain as it deeply gouged just the right side cover.
    Last edited by grcamna2; 10-24-2023, 03:05 PM.

I just painted my tins with a rattle can(s) - post in here about this. However, I didn't go OE color kinda - the yellow was used on M109R special edition. The white - is about to be repainted yellow as the bike doesn't look that good on the white side... pic below - see what I mean

As for the color - good luck - most OE colors aren't available and I know of nothing "close"

Resized_Oct_22_2023_1241.jpg
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

Just for reference - the yellow side - looks good eh?

Resized_Oct_22_2023_1245.jpg
      Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

Wow! My Sportster had two tone paint, but that's a whole 'nother approach. Multi-tasking, you might say...or an unfocused attention. An old member here (Nardy?) had two whole sets of body work, but this seems a lot easier. Just walk around the other side.

And I'll add that that's what I consider a proper motorcycle. No windshield, saddlebags, luggage rack w/bbq, etc. etc. etc. So rare these days.

To see what Kawaskis looked like in 1973 with 3 tone paint on the tank, see my new avatar. That's me popping a 2 inch wheelie on the original Z1.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

[QUOTE=grcamna2;n1734015]I want to paint my front fender and sidecover. Have any of you painted your GS tank,sidecovers or fender with a rattle can ?
          I'm looking for a very close match to Stardust Silver metallic/ part#99000-10209-737.

What you might try is to take your side cover to O'Rielly's or Autozone and check out their Dupli-color spray paints. The top is a pretty good reference to what's inside. There's a million shades of silver but I'm pretty sure you'll find something close. Get a can of clear to protect it, too.
          Last edited by nvr2old; 10-24-2023, 07:43 PM.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Orilleys near my house has a scanner and can order paint. And they actually mixed me a batch and put it in a rattle can. Then again any reputable supply house should be able to do the same thng for you
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Orilleys near my house has a scanner and can order paint. And they actually mixed me a batch and put it in a rattle can. Then again any reputable supply house should be able to do the same thng for you
              Thanks.
              I called Napa where I live in this city. The manager told me about the large Napa paint center in Sacramento; you mentioned a paint supply house,that would be easier.
              I gave them a call and spoke with a man who told me they can try to take a picture/scan and hope it will match(I'm thinking "try" ? ),well they said they can try and if successful,a 12oz. aerosol can will be $32.99 which I can do;although I need to paint my large front fender also and would be better off with 2 cans..

I notice the factory paint has some gloss/clear over it,which may change the shade of the finished job;I plan to prep and clear-coat both parts when I complete this job.
              I already have a can of Good quality Napa 2K clearcoat for the finish and I can keep applying clearcoat until I'm satisfied with the shade.

I may just take the side cover with me to a place somewhere around Sacramento? that sells plenty of Duplicolor and find a metallic silver color that's very close to Suzuki Stardust Silver Metallic and use that.

I find getting paint here from 'just any' automotive parts store seems difficult;like it's a type of 'controlled toxic substance'.
              I suppose it's got to do with the EPA.. The other thing I can't find is Ethanol-Free gasoline.
              Last edited by grcamna2; 10-24-2023, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post

I find getting paint here from 'just any' automotive parts store seems difficult;like it's a type of 'controlled toxic substance'.
                I suppose it's got to do with the EPA.
                I believe it's the proliferation of graffiti and the concurrent theft of spray cans that's caused stores to keep a tight lid on their paint cans.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

I believe it's the proliferation of graffiti and the concurrent theft of spray cans that's caused stores to keep a tight lid on their paint cans.
                  Those damned urban artists!
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm going to bring a side cover with stock Suzuki Stardust Silver paint in 'always covered/garaged,great condition' over to Autozone in Dixon,Ca. today.
                    I just called the manager and they said that they have roughly 11) shades of silver in Duplicolor on the shelf.
                    There's also an autobody shop just down the road that can scan it if I think that will help.

No,that autobody shop will not scan/take a picture of it
                    I'm now heading off to an autobody supply store called Rainbow Sales in Woodland,Ca. I called first this time and they confirmed they will scan it for me. We shall see.

Went to the place and they scanned it,but wouldn't give me the exact,useful # so I could get a spray can of touch up paint..
                    I drove around Woodland(county seat for Yolo County)for about 3 hrs. going from place to place but still couldn't locate a place that will scan And mix me up an aerosol can of the exact same color.
                    I need to go to a better area to find an automotive paint supplier;this is a drag.
                    I know this is an easy thing to do,just not here.
                    Last edited by grcamna2; 10-25-2023, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      I'd like to find an O'Reilly's like that not far from here.

Comment

Working...
                      X