Solution for cracked plastics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solution for cracked plastics?

So the factory plastic saddlebag for my GK has been thru some trauma..... I am looking for the best solutions to make this sturdy, and not totally hideous. On the corner, the crack is spread out and even opened up a little so the gap would need filled in. Also, one of the bottom mounting holes is cracked and even missing a little piece.

I considered using just an ABS slurry (I'm assuming they are made of ABS.....) but then I was contemplating using super glue / baking soda. Maybe even a store bought ABS cement or epoxy? What does the collective say? The cracks are circled with a black dry erase marker btw - nothing permanent.

Try a search for this info. You will surely find a number of suggestions/solutions.

One I recall,...and have used...is black ABS cement. Black, not yellow.

It contains MEK so needs ventilation when using it, but it worked for me on fairing and case damage. .
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Dissolve some ABS in MEK and make a paste, use it to fill the gaps.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Save your self hours of work by simply using 2-part plastic epoxy available at any hardware store. Get the stuff that dries in 5-10 minutes. It comes in side-by-side syringes so even the mixing ratio is done for you. V the cracks with a Dremel tool and sand the areas that are broken. Add the epoxy, even in places where chunks are missing, let it dry and it's as good if not better then before it was broken. I've done it a hundred times and it's a permanent repair.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

YES as Larry said. JB WELD PLASTIC WELDER.I grind a ditch along cracks and then fill with the epoxy. I let it set overnight Sand and paint as normally you would do plastic parts
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
            Save your self hours of work by simply using 2-part plastic epoxy available at any hardware store. Get the stuff that dries in 5-10 minutes. It comes in side-by-side syringes so even the mixing ratio is done for you. V the cracks with a Dremel tool and sand the areas that are broken. Add the epoxy, even in places where chunks are missing, let it dry and it's as good if not better then before it was broken. I've done it a hundred times and it's a permanent repair.
            I managed to build one good fairing out of three bad ones for FZ750 way back when. Worked great, even survived being tossed down the road.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have been a fan, a subscriber, an EMail friend of / with Windy Urtnowski for about 4 years. Has a nice motorcycle collection. One is his owned since new 82 1100E. That bike in a thumbnail started the following. Living in Rutherford NJ, Windy is an avid rider, painter, repairer, lots of years building world championship grade model airplanes etc...

Plastics repair etc...... Lots and lots of excellent repair vids on his channel. TRACK BIKE FAIRING REPAIRING DAMAGE WITH CARBON FIBER AND CA. - YouTube

Comment

Tons of good info and ideas - big thanks to everyone.

I ended up getting the plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight, and used the metal mesh. Seems to be working out really well so far - but time will tell. To fill in the smaller holes / cracks, I'll be using the ABS slurry.

I also brought this question up on another forum and someone pointed out that the plastic is 40 years old, and might be prone to more cracking in the future. I was talking with my wife and we want to run the stock panniers for daily use. But for any trips we plan on getting some Tusk aluminum panniers.

Thanks again for all the help fellas!​

Comment

At the end of every crack drill a small hole this stops the crack from running. The end of the crack has to finish in the middle of the hole or at the beginning..............if that make sence.
                  82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                  Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                  Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                  Albums

Comment

Working...
                  X