No announcement yet.

OEM Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe an Aero brand. Similar to WJ but different.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

What Nessism said. I sorta recall seeing Suzuki ads in magazines for those. Dunno how many they sold, but it was only for one year. I bet they're pretty scarce today.
      Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
      1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
      1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hurlburt View Post
        That does look like what I have seen in old magazines. Not really factory stock, but an approved dealer add on. I think I first saw them in 78 or 79 omagizines on GS1000 and/or 850.

In previous discussion here about this, I think I recall folks suggestion was maybe Califica? Calfa? Calafa? made for Suzuki in US for the US market.
        Last edited by Redman; 03-06-2024, 10:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hey, I found pics from when I sold off a bunch of old magazines

. Yah, you got a significant period-correct thing there (that only few folks would know).

I cant make out the date on the magazine.
          But it calls the bike GS850, not GS850G, and side panels dont have the G suffix either, so is 78 or 79 model.
          And it mentions "things to come" so made magaize if from late 77 even.

Last edited by Redman; 03-06-2024, 09:49 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thank you sir for the research & finding the answer to the mystery. bike had one owner purchased in California new from factory. He worked for NGK in conjunction with Suzuki in spark plug development. Would love to see a copy of that vintage article you posted!
            could you send perhaps?
            roberthurlburt42363@gmail.com
            Nice having a rarity on these superb GS bikes!

Thank you again.

Comment

That fairing is a Calafia. Possibly the Shadow model.
              They were made for Suzuki and sold as a dealer option.
              Small saddlebags were also available.

The 850 started as a '79 model, most likely introduced in late '78.
              The '79s only had "GS850" on the side covers.
              All later years had "GS850G" or "GS850L".
              I ride many bikes.
              Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Thank you all for the information!
                Iinteresting also from research on my 78 GS550E is transition during model year to cast aluminum wheels, front & rear disk brakes & raised passenger seat.
                also plastic cover emblems GS550 only then in 79 with upgrades emblems are GS550E.
                I.D. on my steering head does state 550E though with previous mentioned upgrades.
                Have also a time period Suzuki brochure showing both different model types for 78.

Comment

Yep, "78" was the first yr. both the "E", cast wheels and stepped seat, models and Standard spoke wheel and flat seat models were available.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X