How to paint frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to paint frame

Mine has surface rust all over it. I'm wanting to strip it down and paint it with spray paint. What kind should I get for it? Enamel? Flat, glossy?

Ok, well, I'm new to the forum, but I do know that you will certainly want a durable paint. One of my favorites that I have been using for years when painting automotive parts is a high heat engine enamel. It comes in lot's of different colors, lays really well on clean metal and of course is durable and heat resistant...up to 500 degrees. I've used it on both engine parts, brake parts, and some bike parts too. Now, there is also a type of paint which I have seen used to paint frames specifically during motorcycle resto's, but it is brushed on. I have absolutely NO recolection of what it was called, but a little research may yield you some results.

Comment

I'm also pretty new...but I've always been a fan of Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer and Rust-Oleum Glossy Black.....
      It doesn't stay glossy long, but looks OEM after a little while, it's very tough and it's easy to touch up.
      I painted this '68 ElectraGlide frame in 1994 and when I sold it in 2004 it still looked darn good.

I just painted the frame of my new project GS750E and I'm very pleased with the results.....

HTH,
      Bob T.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

is it possible to polish the steel frame to a mirror finish?

Comment

Working...
        X