Painters advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedy400 View Post
    Hi, yeah I'll second the PPG, thats what we use also along with house of colors, yes it is expencive but the finished product for most jobs is extraordinary. ps, I cant remember but I think we use low voc clear or something, I always wondered what that exactly ment, can you shead some light on the subject for me? thx-darren
    Nessim defined VOCs correctly. Examples include turpentine, lacquer thinner, xylene, toluene, methanol, ethanol, gasoline, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and so on. "Volatile" means that it evaporates easily. The EPA has rules to try to reduce the amount of VOCs in the atmosphere because they cause health problems.

"Organic" means that it contains the chemical element carbon.

Without getting into a lot of chemistry, most coatings that survive being immersed in water are organic and organic coatings dissolve better in organic solvents. To get rid of the solvent, it must evaporate.

In the last few decades, chemists have learned a lot about reducing the VOC content of paints, using some fairly complex chemistry.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
      Bronco, sweet deal man See if you can track down my medium gray :-\"
      details please
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Oh I was just kidding man Thanks though.

I'm going down to a supply place as suggested to look through the paint chips. Trying to match something like this:

Comment

Whoa! This is CREEPY!

Same tank, Same dent (roughly), same time (roughly).8-[
          Our bikes must be related.
          Doh! Silly me. Of course they are.

I'm gonna try to bang mine out.
          Also my tank has holes that seem to be from a previous and different petcock location. I'm not sure of the year and model of the tank but it's colors are different than the rest of the sheet metal on this 79 GS1000 so I know that it must be a replacement.

This 2nd pict shows petcock placement for the 1000. PM me if you need measurements or anything - May be same as yours.

Thanks for the descriptive resto tutorial - It'll help.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2006, 11:25 PM. Reason: link to second petcock picture

Comment

Working...
          X