Saddlebags or luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddlebags or luggage rack

Does anyone know where's a good place I can find saddlebags or a luggage rack that will fit my '78 GS550E? My guess is that bike stores don't sell things like that for older bikes but I could be wrong.

I canthink of a dozen kinds of bags that'll fit your bike right off the top of my head. Luggage racks are harder to find, but they are out there. In fact, if you ask REALLY nicely, Planecrazy has a rack on his GS550L that should fit your ride. ;-) However that rack won't come cheap.

Search on ebay for EXL saddlebags. They cost $50 or so, and if they're anything like their tank bags you won't be disapointed.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I couldn't find a website for EXL so I can't look thru their selection. I'm just looking for something that can go on both sides of my bike that won't block the passenger seat. Would bags they sell at a HD dealer fit a Suzuki with the right adjustments?

Comment

As far as I'm aware, EXL doesn't have a website. That's why I said searchon ebay :-)

Most saddlebags drape over the passenger seat. the passenger can sit on top of the straps.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Too good to be true?

These look like bags that cost three times this much. Any experience with them? They are EXL.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
            Too good to be true?

These look like bags that cost three times this much. Any experience with them? They are EXL.

That does look like a good deal. For that price there HAS to be something wrong with it. If not, I'll probably get those. I wonder how they are attached.

Comment

I bought a set similar to those for my GF about a year ago. The leather is somewhat stiff and cardboardy (I know, I am making up words here). She didn't like them because of the studded top. So, they are still sitting in my garage. I may use them when I get the 850 to the point I want to take long trips on it.

Comment

you know, i use a Tourmaster duffel that has two bungee cords with hooks on it for my 450L. it does take over the passenger seat, but it's really convenient. and it comes with a rain cover. just an idea if you don't ride with passengers very often

Comment

I've had a pair of Nelson Rigg Sadlebags for about four years, they came waterpoof interior bags. Narry a problem with them.

Comment

When I purchased mine at the local shop he came out and measured from the bottom of the seat to the top of the muffler. If they are to deep they will burn on the muffler. Then he measured the length from the back of the turn signal to the middle of the seat. They fit perfect and when I have a passenger they do not rub on the back of there legs.

Comment

I generally favor soft, nylon luggage to hard or leather but have a bit of a dilemma. My '82GS850L has the K-G style adjustable backrest, and no rack behind it. Just the curved-down chrome rear fender with tailight mounted above. Hard to find a good looking and practical soft luggage pack that will fit in that space, and won't roll off the curved fender. I'm hoping to make the trip to West Virginia next Summer with my 8 yr old son in the passenger seat, so except for side saddle bags, don't know what is practical storage for the rear. Sure I can roll and bungie a bunch of duffle bags, but that really will look kind of lame. Any suggestions from you "L" model guys who travel a lot, and pack heavy?

Comment

You looking for hard bags or will soft ones do? I LOVE my luggage I got this year. In fact, I have changed my whole tune as to a new bike wish list. People are always concerned with how the new touring bikes don't look as good with the hard bags removed, but I can't see why I would ever, ever want them to be off the bike. Saddlebags are awesome. Here is the soft luggage I got this summer:

Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Nice set of bags Jethro. Couple of questions...(1) Do the top straps for the saddle bags go over or under the seat, or are there none there at all, in case a passenger actually has to sit behind you? (2) Will that duffle bag mount behind a low back rest, on top of the curved rear fender or does it attach to the other two side bags? (3) Where'd you get yours...internet or retail store?
                          Thanks.

Comment

The straps for the saddlebags go over the seat. I can't imagine they would be comfortable for a passenger to sit on, so that may be out. They are two wide velcro straps that may fit under the seat, but I doubt it. They would probably be too low mounted that way. The top bag mounts either with quick release clips to the saddlebags (you can see one of them in front of the bottom corner of the duffle) or with 2 massive bungees that are mounted into the bottom of the bag and have big hooks. I imagine it can be mounted anywhere, anyhow. I bought them at www.whitehorsepress.com, those guys are awesome and I am in the same state so if it's in stock, I get it the next day.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Rocketman, you could put a gel pad over the straps. As long as the buckle parts aren't across the seat it should not be that uncomfortable to sit on the straps. There are also bags/packs that attach to the back of your luggage rack or sissy bar. And of course there are large expandable tank bags. There should be no problem carrying a few days gear for two people unless you were planning on camping. If that is the case I would probably send the camping gear ahead by UPS.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X