Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refinishing Controls & Gauges (Lettering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey folks, so I'm planning on sprucing up my controls and gauges. The problem is the lettering.

The turn signal graphics and lettering on the left and the stop, start, and run lettering on the right is literally rubbing away with my thumb. Likewise, it seems to have rubbed away from the warning lights: Oil, Turn, Neutral, High Beam.

Has anyone ever tried specific sticker lettering kits? Or anything? Any ideas? It's not engraved so painting would be extremely difficult without a stencil? I have no ideas.

I know I can buy new controls, but these seem to be working fine and I don't want to spend $200 on new ones

Any way you go about it, it's going to take a steady hand. I'd either reccomend going to a hobby/craft store and getting a very very fine paint brush and some white paint or I see the Sharpie now offers a white paint pen. Not sure where you can get it, but you can see it on their website. Not sure if it comes in a fine point.

Comment

If you aren't worried about the lettering color, I would use a permanent marker, a'la Sharpie. My girlfriend just picked up a silver one. I have the same issue as you, and I'm just gonna see if I can make that work. I figure something is better than trying to paint them back on, since you'll probably rub that off too.

Comment

i used a testors white paint pen from wally world on my Kaw and Suzi. it worked well but be careful of getting the tip too wet w/ paint as it then runs down in the cracks. just blot it on a paper towel and put a couple of coats. looks much better. it's one of those things that you don't notice much until you do it then it details the bike nicely.

Comment

Get one of those sticker-sheets for a computer printer. Print off a sheet with the lettering. Cut out lettering with razor blade. Stick on, and paint.

Or be like me, and just paint over them.

Comment

Interesting thoughts guys, thanks! I might try doing this coming up, so if I have any success I'll let you know!

Comment

Working...
            X