The great paint debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great paint debate

So I'm in the midst of a debate with my father (coworker on the bike) over the course painting should take... He wants to have it professionally done, I was considering rattle bombing it with some metallic speck paint.

I'm not a complete rattlebomb noob, since I've used automotive spraypaint before on other projects (computer case, don't ask) and it came out OK. His concerns are that the paint will chip/flake, that it will run (Frank notes this possibility in his article), and that gas will eat right through the coat.

I'm not saying his concerns aren't valid by any means, but since I know this is a real DIY type of crowd I was curious how you felt about these concerns and what were the guiding facts of your decisions.

Thanks friends

I'm interested in the opinions too. One way or another, my bike's getting painted this winter.

Comment

My opinion is to have it professionally done. It can be expensive but you get what you pay for. One of the Chicago guys, 80gs1000e, spent a whole lot of time and effort doing a rattle can job a couple years ago and ended up having it re-done professionally this year. On the other hand, I've seen Frank's rattle can paint job and it is very nice. Still, I think Frank's is a rare case of extraordinary work and attention to detail as well as meticulous care.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

someone mentioned in an earlier thread that you could do the color yourself, then pay for professional clear coat...that would protect from gas, but you adont have to pay quite as much....

Comment

I'm painting my own so i am prejudiced...cup gun no rattle can. I would not even think of putting in all that time and effort to have gas destroy it. runs are a possibility no matter what paint you use, run control is in the application, nice thin to medium wet coats with the proper flash time (solvent evaporation) in between, the only time i use rattle can paints now is with self etching primer the rest of the time it's with a spray gun. yes i do use rattle cans around the house, i use clear lacquer over polished brass, spray bomb satin on small parts but that is about it. i would think spray bomb lacquer would chip easily unless protected with a catalyzed clear over it.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

my opinion only...

Definitly spring for a cheap ($40-100+) spray gun and shoot it properly yourself. Also one thing I learned was that chemically hardening primer (get the high build) is awesome. you can use it like bondo to turn a lousy surface perfect. It sands like magic.

I suggest NAPA paint. I spent $150 on everything for my bike. Walk in and ask for the big book of colors. This is pretty much every color from every vehicle.

also, stay away from metallic. I think you need some sort of magic gun with a little propeller keeping it mixed.

for $150:

quart of primer w/ ass'ted chemicals
            quart of paint (I used single stage)
            tack cloth
            surface prep
            sticks
            filters
            gallon of laquer thinner
            I don't remember what else (you might also want to use a respirator, this stuff is WAY nastier than spray bombs. makes you really stupid.)

EDIT:

one more thing. coats should be very light. so light that they aren't even totally wet. (otherwise you will be sanding - guess how I know.)
            Last edited by spchips; 09-01-2006, 02:00 PM.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
              my opinion only...

Definitly spring for a cheap ($40-100+) spray gun and shoot it properly yourself.
              Agreed....painting is not that hard if you stick to simple, solid colors. Pearls and metalics are a pain.

Bike are easy....hit the library or google up the basics. If you find a decent paint supply place they'll help you get something easy to use.

I prefer a hardened acrylic enamel...last one I used was made by Centari, I believe.

It will look ten times better than a can job and will only cost a couple hundred tops, maybe less.

If you can afford a pro job, great...I just can't see pay more for the paint than the bike is worth.

Later,
              Bob T.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks for all your responses guys. I've decided to go in the middle. I will be assisting in the prep work, then handing it over to a friend. Her auto body shop instructor is willing to do the work for less than a pro (tho how much less it yet to be determined). Thank you again for setting me straight

Comment

I rattle caned mine a few years ago. It looked great, just as good as a professional. Well 3 years later it looked 30 years old and faded to all get out. I just had it painted professionally. I put radiant pain on it so it was more expensive, but wow the professional guys did an awsome job.

!!!!!Shameless Plug Alert!!!!!!

I had the guys at ET Creations in Fargo, ND paint mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X