No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or unfinished like they fell off in the wind.... depending on your viewpoint!

It's your bike, have it how you like it!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Or unfinished like they fell off in the wind.... depending on your viewpoint!

Only if there are all the battery gubbins and associated brackets and tat!

It means on PJs bike you get to see the monoshock workings and work that has gone into it.

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny View Post
        Only if there are all the battery gubbins and associated brackets and tat!

It means on PJs bike you get to see the monoshock workings and work that has gone into it.

Somebody on this forum fabbed some flat metal side covers and painted them black. They looked great - that's to say - they just faded into the background while still hiding the "gubbins". Good compromise, if you ask me.

Home Depot here has thin aluminum diamond-plate stock - I'll bet that'd look hot as a side cover in flat black or polished if you were going for more of a cafe look. Anyway, just thinking out loud...

Comment

86 the side covers. There is no point putting something on your bike that you don't need.

Also, those tins look sick, now put them on the bike so we can see what it all looks like please.

Comment

It's not like the side covers wouldn't be an easy retro fit if you fancied them later. Can't wait to see pics of it "fully dressed"
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Can't wait to see pics of it "fully dressed"
              Me either! Are you bringing that beast to Yosemite?
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The GS1000, spotted in its native environment, the mountain twisties!

Took a quick ride up into a local canyon and the bike was performing really well. The top end rebuild sure gave it a kick in the pants - 1100 cc Wiseco pistons, all new intake/exhaust valves, and some .395 lift Web cams. The new Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro street/trackday radials were sticking reaaaallly well, got those for $125 mounted (cheap! $400 new) at the track as takeoffs with only 50 miles on them. Got my knee puck down on both sides without dragging the header (the old V&H would drag) so the new Hindle 4-2-1 GSXR 1100 header definitely gave a welcome gain in ground clearance. The new 1.0 kg/mm Racetech springs give a very planted feel for the front end in the corners.

This is the header being used. It's a Hindle 4-2-1 originally made for a '89 GSXR 1100. The exhaust port spacing was perfect for the 8v motor so the flanges from my old V&H header were cut off and welded to the Hindle header. Add the Hindle can and voila! - 4-2-1 exhaust for the GS1000. Tons of ground clearance this way - haven't ground it out yet even at knee-down lean angles.

Also, a quick vid of the bike running once I got home.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 12:58 AM.

Comment

SWEET!! And thanks for letting me ride it. Great power!! You've inspired me to get my engine back together. I actually worked on it a bit tonight.

Did you get that exhaust sealed up? No more noise?
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    SWEET!! And thanks for letting me ride it. Great power!! You've inspired me to get my engine back together. I actually worked on it a bit tonight.

Did you get that exhaust sealed up? No more noise?
                    I'm anxious to see the BEAST back together, how long you think it'll be? Should be a rocket!

No more exhaust leaks. Thanks for that tip on using antiseize to keep the header bolts from backing out - worked a treat and haven't had that problem since.

Comment

That is a really sweet machine. Great project! Congratulations.

Comment

looking good, just starting to sort out my plans for my 1k. If you get a chance could you take a few pics of your rear sets and how you mounted them, i have a set of 05 gsxr ones waiting to go on.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Likewise, in both case (thanks for the ride, can't wait to see the beast) the ride was great fun...

I would like to do a slightly more conventional one of those someday... retain dual rear shocks if poss but with a different front end maybe a diff swingarm etc.

Bruce - what you doing with the rear of yours? 1100 swingarm with the matching 1150 wheel to the front in it??

Dan
                          Last edited by salty_monk; 07-30-2008, 02:28 AM.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Wow - bike looks awesome all purtied up and all...!! Great job!

Comment

Bruce - what you doing with the rear of yours? 1100 swingarm with the matching 1150 wheel to the front in it??

Dan
                              Yep. And some ohlin shocks.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Bike looks and sounds great mate

Comment

Working...
                                X