Highway bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway bars

I have an 82 gs850gl. I am fairly tall and get cramped up riding for long periods. I would like to find some highway bars, but can't seem to find any other than ebay. I don't want to give up the bike, but it gets painful. Anyone know where to find some?

Dennis Kirk actually carried 3-point case guards for my '80 850L - they provide an excellent place for additional footpegs. I uselessly shopped around on eBay & junkyards for a while before finally just coughing up the $100 for the ones that 'Kirk had. They're nice & also 'bout the shiniest things on my bike right now...

Comment

Depending how handy you are (and how big tou are on looks) you may be able to make your own set. Right now I'm working on a set for my 450L using a straight bar and a spare set of rear pegs. I have two sets of bars for the bike, but neither one will let the bike fit through the door into my house so I'm trying for something smaller.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

you want some? Well, now...

I have two highway pegs (that fold up when not in-use) that I'll give you for postage... I try to use 'em now and then and my left hip gets a spasm like you wouldn't believe. Its just me getting old, I guess, so I'm gonna take 'em off and do something with 'em.

Check out the front lower engine guards of my goldwing on the website. If you want 'em, send me a PM. They're generic aftermarket stuff, probably from when the bike was new. Actual postage (or as close as I can estimate without losing money) is all I want. I'm estimating about $8 or so.

They're folded up vertical in my pics, so you probably wont' see much. they have 4 little rubber things in them I think... You'll see 'em. They're on the MOTORCYCLEs page.

Comment

or you can get case savers or case guards. then attach these too them. I am 6.4 and I can stetch these legs on them. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...014710/c-10111
          Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2006, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I have an 82 GS850 as well. I had the same experience riding longer distances. I put on some different handlebars and all my riding issues went away. As an added bonus, the bike handles alot better too.
            Al Jones
            82 Suzuki GS850GL
            97 Suzuki TL1000S
            "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
            Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
            sigpic

___ -\
            (O)--(O)

Comment

this might be a bit of a long shot for you, but I was thinking of doing something similar on my 80 750L.

I was in my garage and found rear pegs and the mounting bracket from my old Kawasaki KDX250, and just to see what highway pegs would look like on the bike offered them up to the frame (in front of the engine, where there are 2 mounting bolts.

Would you believe , they are a perfect fit!

So if you can find an old KDX250 or similar, the rear pegs from that would make perfect highway bars, folding up and everything!

I'll stick one on and take a picture later today if I get a chance, I've not painted them or anything yet, so they won't look right (the mounts are green , hehehe)

Comment

What I would give for my old KDX now. Yea being 6'2 I could use a stretch out postion also.

Comment

I just thought i'd add my opinion here. LOL I have an 82 850glz. It came with a highway bar and a set of pegs (that my feet kept vibrating off of) that say SUZUKI. I took it off and tried the case savers for S and G's. I hated the case savers. I couldn't stretch out and get comfortable for more than about 5 miles. I'm only 5' 11. I bought a new set of pegs (i don't remember the maker) they have a bunch of rubber O-rings that go around them, and put the highway bar back on. It's a dream riding now. I'll never take the highway bar off again and the pegs are wonderful. It may not look as cool as the case savers....but i'm comfy and that's all that matters to me. I hope you can find the highway bar for your bike, and if you do I recommend the pegs with the rubber O-rings...they are great. I can even feel my feet when I get off the bike LOL.
                  If your near New Hampshire, there is a swap meet at the Cheshire Fairgrounds on Sunday the 24. I've seen some Suzuki parts there before.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I do have a set of case savers with the foot pads. I've tried using that, but all it does is rotate my legs upward without changing the angle of my knees, and that is where my cramping is at, in my legs. I was kind of hoping that someone may have even used a set from a kaw or a honda or something and modified it to fit. I see a few of those that I may be able to use, but I don't think the goldwing bars will be close. Too much mod. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jmendez29 View Post
                      Thanks for the input guys. I do have a set of case savers with the foot pads. I've tried using that, but all it does is rotate my legs upward without changing the angle of my knees, and that is where my cramping is at, in my legs. I was kind of hoping that someone may have even used a set from a kaw or a honda or something and modified it to fit. I see a few of those that I may be able to use, but I don't think the goldwing bars will be close. Too much mod. Thanks again.
                      anyone interested in what i have done? i made some highway pegs for my gs 1000L that take the place of the casesavers and give 13 1/2 inches more leg room.
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I have the case savers on my GL. Pegs mounted directly on the case savers would do nothing but raise my legs higher. I am going to go with the Kuryakyn 4" offset mounts to give me the extra leg extention I want.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                          anyone interested in what i have done? i made some highway pegs for my gs 1000L that take the place of the casesavers and give 13 1/2 inches more leg room.
                          yah I am ron. what post is it. or pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyg View Post
                            yah I am ron. what post is it. or pics.
                            I TOOK SOME PICTURES TODAY.I WILL TRY PROBABLY UNSUCCESSFULLY,TO POAST THEM HERE.I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO POST PICTURES HERE,I ALWAYS HAD TO EMAIL THEM TO A MEMBER HERE AND THEY POSTED THEM FOR ME.
                            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
                            X