Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone polished the cam cover GS1000E

Hi Guys,
    Has anyone polished the cam cover on a GS1000E with any success. Mine just lets the bike down a touch and I was wondering if it is possible. Thanks guys, I will get this monster looking superb over winter, if it kills me!!.

With all the nooks and crannys, I hand sanded and polished, and used a dremmel tool in the places I couldn't get to. My hands were thrashed by the time I was finished. But it looks good! :-D Strip with aircraft stripper first to get the clear coat off.
    Last edited by renobruce; 09-18-2006, 10:33 AM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Hi there,
      Thank you for the reply, I am impressed and it has given me the incentive to polish my cover and I will take the opportunity to look at the valve clearances at the same time. Thank you

Comment

I'm into polished aluminum but polishing the cover is a lot more work than the reward in my opinion.
        Most of it is hidden and hard to get into. I just leave mine au natural.
        I do have an NOS cover that's bright silver but I'm sticking with my original one for now.
        But to each their own. I love shiny stuff, but I already have enough parts to keep polished so stop giving me ideas!!
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I too polished the cam cover and end caps last winter. It looked really great but I find it's a pain to keep polished when installed on the bike. I think next year l'll paint the cam cover with aluminum engine paint and just keep the end caps polished. Ted

Comment

Working...
          X