Gas Cap/gas gauge on 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Cap/gas gauge on 850

I have the stock gas tank cap(locking rectangle) on my 850G. I replaced the gauges, and the only thing I'm missing on the new gauges is the gas gauge. I was wondring if anybody knew of a cap with a gauge in it, maybe an aftermarket gauge. Worst case, I use my trip-meter and the "res" when necessary... :-D

welcome to the world of gas mileage math. Figure out your bike's total capacity and reserve limit while checking mileage for a while. I hoit reserve at 140-150 miles knocking around town and 165 or so on the highway.

But my late 1981 tank I installed on my 650G has a gas gauge sending unit so now I am in the gauge club!\\/\\/

Another alternative you may have is to mount a gas gause somewhere. IF you can get one from another Suzuki and make a small mounting box for it you might be able to do something. I think that most of the sending units in the tanks are the same and produce the same results.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I think I confused You. I have a sending unit that works fine in the tank. I replaced my gauge cluster with new pod gauges. The new gauges have all the idiot lights, etc.. Just not the gas gauge. I was looking for a actual guage of some sort, that would tie into my existing sending unit, or, I have seen harly style choppers with gauges in the gas cap, but they are just round twist on caps.

Comment

Whoops! Yep, I was confused I deleted my post.

Comment

My Suzuki manual, for GS650G doesn't show anything for the gas gauge for the 1981 standard model, but it has a bit on the gauge for the L, cruiser model. The "fuel gauge", which I think is the sender, is supposed to have the following resistance ranges:

Full - 1 to 5 ohms
          half full - 25 to 40 ohms
          empty - 105 to 100 ohms

For 1982, there are two pages of information

full - 3 ohms
          half full - 32.5 ohms
          empty - 110 ohms

Funny, these values are just the averages of the above values

The sender is not a simple resistance unit. 4 coils and a magnet are involved. The shop manual even has a diagram for the vector addition of the H fields of the 4 coils. I might have been able to understand this 35 years ago just after I studied this stuff in physics, but I am totally clueless now. So my only suggestion would be to find a fuel gauge from a bike being parted out and make a nice case for it to match your pods.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

THe gas gauge was added in late 1981, I think august. THe supplemental has it. They changed the wiring harness for the bike as well as the cluster. The speedo and tach are also 1/2 inch larger in diameter and the tach has the oil and high beam light.

The tanks are also a little different. The petcock is 4 inches forward on the late model tank.

To make the swap I modified the instrument cluster to work with the early bike, this way I could go back to original without having to replace the entire wiring harness. I also have a wiring harness for a late 81 but decided against swapping it.

The L cluster might be the same, they sure look close. Mounting might be different though,

If anyone is interested in how I did the swap PM me and I can provide detailed instructions but I warn you, it is a bit complicated. I had no problems other than a burned out light bulb, no fired wires or fires.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X