No announcement yet.

4-1 exhaust for an '83 gs750es?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your '83 has the same frame and swingarm as my 700. The swap will work but it is alot of work. You can already squeeze a 4.5" GSX-R wheel in your stock swingarm. That will hold a 160/60 tire.

The swingarm swap is not an easy job like doing a front end is. On my 700 and your 750 the swingarm I am using, a '93 GSX-R750 banana swingarm, involves cutting off the stock peg mounts on the frame. That leads to welding plates to the outside edge of the frame for rearsets. This is necessary because the swingarm is too wide to fit between the clutter at the point where the pegs mount. Then the pivot points on the frame where the swingarm bolts on have to be cut down to make room for the swingarm. You have to cut down the stock swingarm bushings to fit the GSX-R swingarm. The shock link is on the bottom of the shock, opposite of the GS layout. So you need a spot to bolt that to the frame. Then the shock upper needs a place to mount to the frame. These are the major points. As you get into it you find other small details that have to be worked out. I've got most of them done and those I don't I have worked out in my head. I'll ride it the way it is with the stock swingarm before finishing up that mod.

Comment

if you have not found an exhaust yet yohimura makes a prosport canister system for the 83 gs 750 e/es/esd and requires no mods except for jets

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy996
        if you have not found an exhaust yet yohimura makes a prosport canister system for the 83 gs 750 e/es/esd and requires no mods except for jets
        Would you happen to have link for the above pipe? I've not had any success locating it.
        Thanks.

Comment

Billy,
          Sounds like a little more work than i'm capable of taking on right now, thanks for the info though. Maybe be an idea for me to try out later on.
          Good luck and thanks for the help,
          Collin

Comment

Grumpy,
            I'll have to see if i can find that system, does yosh. have it on their site?
            Thanks,
            Collin

Comment

the system is called pro series supersport mine was bought through denniskirk but they dont have it anymore i tryed to get on yoshimuras site last night with no luck but will keep trying it will also work on my rides 80gs850/81gs1000/1100

Comment

hey collin check under parts for sale in this forum. look at 1982-1983 katana parts for sale that might be one that will work

Comment

The '83 GS has smaller exhaust ports than the Kat. The Kats and other pre '83 750s had the same size ports as the liter class bikes.

Comment

You can already squeeze a 4.5" GSX-R wheel in your stock swingarm. That will hold a 160/60 tire.
                    Do you have to do anything special to make this work, or is it just a matter of putting the wheel in? Thanks

Comment

I am using the Gixxer rotor, caliper, and sprocket. I am using Katana 600 spacers on each side, and Katana caliper hanger. I am using stock GS axle with stock bearings installed in the wheel. There is a bearing support between the sprocket carrier and hub which is Katana 600. The bearing support inside the wheel hub is my stock piece with a small length of pipe J-B Welded to it so it ends up the same length as the Gixxer piece. The brake torque has to be bent to clear the tire and moved to the bottom of the swingarm. It is a tight squeeze on my bike between the swingarm where the axle fits. I used a hydraulic jack to spread the swingarm a little for about 1/4" more clearance. I think that about covers it.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdez
                        V&H makes a good pipe for the 83's. But they are megaphone stye. BUT, if you want, the pipes from an 81 750 will fit if you grind them down a bit. If you find just a header seaction cheap, I have the rear section from an 81 that I am willing to part with.
                        I just aquired an 83 GS750ES and I was wondering if anyone has actually modified an 80-82 V&H competition pipe to fit an 83-85 750ES and what modifications were needed. I'm not sure how this pipe would mount in the rear of the bike, or if I'd be able to keep the centerstand. I'm rebuilding this bike from the ground up and any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBBB
                          V&H makes a good pipe for the 83's. But they are megaphone stye. BUT, if you want, the pipes from an 81 750 will fit if you grind them down a bit. If you find just a header seaction cheap, I have the rear section from an 81 that I am willing to part with.
                          I just aquired an 83 GS750ES and I was wondering if anyone has actually modified an 80-82 V&H competition pipe to fit an 83-85 750ES and what modifications were needed. I'm not sure how this pipe would mount in the rear of the bike, or if I'd be able to keep the centerstand. I'm rebuilding this bike from the ground up and any help in this matter would be appreciated.
                          Which pipe is the Competition pipe? Because I have an 80-82 pipe on my 83 GS750E... but not sure which one it is. BTW, I don't think with any pipe you can keep the centerstand because they pass directly under the bike.

Comment

Which pipe is the Competition pipe? Because I have an 80-82 pipe on my 83 GS750E... but not sure which one it is. BTW, I don't think with any pipe you can keep the centerstand because they pass directly under the bike.
                            Your bike is basically like mine, except you have a smaller fairing that moves with the bars, right?

The V&H pipe that I mentioned was a 4-1 with a regular style can (non-megaphone). Did you have to make any modifications to have the pipe fit your bike?

-Bill

Comment

Your bike is basically like mine, except you have a smaller fairing that moves with the bars, right?

The V&H pipe that I mentioned was a 4-1 with a regular style can (non-megaphone). Did you have to make any modifications to have the pipe fit your bike?

-Bill
                              Yeah, my bike has the even halfer faring than yours.

As for the pipes:

The proper 83 pipe is on the left. The 80-82 pipe is on the right. The older pipe will fit just fine, will even slip right on to the 83 header. The only problem is that it rubs against the rear shock adjustment cables and melts the housing for the cable. But a little automotive heatwrap fixes that right up and it only melts the outer plastic but doesn't affect the inner cable.

These are the 2 pipes I have... It came with the older pipes on it because the header for the megapohone pipe was crushed on all 4 runners. But I found that the slightly better flowing older header will fit if you do a little bit of grinding on it. But just for ha-ha's I slipped the megaphone pipe on and sure enough... it fits. Now all I have to do is get the bike running to see which pipe sounds better to me.

Comment

-Bill
                                Yeah, my bike has the even halfer faring than yours.

As for the pipes:

The proper 83 pipe is on the left. The 80-82 pipe is on the right. The older pipe will fit just fine, will even slip right on to the 83 header. The only problem is that it rubs against the rear shock adjustment cables and melts the housing for the cable. But a little automotive heatwrap fixes that right up and it only melts the outer plastic but doesn't affect the inner cable.

These are the 2 pipes I have... It came with the older pipes on it because the header for the megapohone pipe was crushed on all 4 runners. But I found that the slightly better flowing older header will fit if you do a little bit of grinding on it. But just for ha-ha's I slipped the megaphone pipe on and sure enough... it fits. Now all I have to do is get the bike running to see which pipe sounds better to me.
                                You had to grind a bit around the edge of the header flanges to make them fit into the exhaust ports right? I assume you are using a 4-1 pipe as well. Also, did you have any issues with the pipe fit and your oil cooler lines?

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X