removing fairing... blinkers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing fairing... blinkers?

I'm not sure whether to ask here, or in Technical, so if it's in the wrong place, please move, thanks!

I've got an 82 GS750T with a fairing, and I am planning on removing it when the weather warms. I'm about to do a carb rebuild, and other fun stuff, so I am going to take all the accessories off, remove the gas tank, and clean everything thoroughly while it's accessable.

I believe that I can remove the headlight from the fairing, and bolt it onto the forks (with my non-existant knowledge, it looks like it's the stock light, and will just bolt on). Then I can still ride the bike without having to remount the fairing. Assuming that this turns out to be the case...
    My question is this, if I remove the fairing, do I have to buy/install front blinkers, or do I not have to have them on a bike? Or am I just missing something?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2006, 02:54 AM.

You'll have to replace the front turn signals and properly mount them. You won't likely find any hiding behind the fairing. I have to do this myself with my GK that came standard with fairing and rear bags (which means my rear signals need to be replaced too) and you'll need proper mounting for the headlamp, assuming it has proper housing once the fairing is removed. I don't know anything about the Ts but I know with the GKs, the forks are a bit bigger than most bikes and I've been told finding mounts will be difficult and I might have to fab something.

Beyond that, headlights aren't terribly expensive so you may want to consider buying new headlights and housing if you can easily mount them. I'm sure there are people here who can give much better advice, and I am also looking forward to hearing what they have to say since I am in the same boat, tho I'm in no rush to get mine road ready... I have time for that and plenty of other things to tackle in the mean time. best of luck, and I look forward to learn from your progress!!

Comment

Go here:

Look under electrical, then headlamp and taillamp parts. Scroll down until you see the Chrome Universal Headlight Ears. Will this work for you? It's what I'm planning on using on my GS750E. Unfortunately, to remove the factory headlight bracket I have to take my upper triple tree off, but I can't stand the factory rectangular headlight assembly and they have a tendency to crack. I'm planning on putting an assembly similar to the Kawasaki one listed on the top of the aforementioned page, chrome 7" round.

In Texas, you can run a bike withought blinkers. Actually, the local inspector told me that as long as I have a rear brake, taillight, headlight, horn (even a bulb-type squeeze horn is legal!), and some kind of pipe coming off of the exhaust port he'd give me an inspection sticker. Granted, my bike is going to be a LOT safer than that, complete with ALL brakes, blinkers, dual ELECTRIC horns, etc. I just mentioned it because some inspection laws can be downright wierd.

Comment

from doing this myself, you're best off getting the whole shebang from one seller on ebay or an other bike or whatever.

be careful that it's the same diameter forks. if you're picky also make sure that it's the same model bike, otherwise it won't be "right"

also, make sure the conversation goes like this....

"what model are these off of? I just want to make sure it fits."
        "a honda 350"

and NOT

"will these fit my suzuki gs750E??"
        "yep, in fact that's what they're off of"

I've made this mistake
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
        X