X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to wide rear wheel - that answers that question

Wow!
    Did you guys know this and not tell me?
    Made me find out on my own just how to avoid chain hitting the frame when inserting wide rear wheel and swing arm. My real question is; although the Oldskool suzuki website shows frame mods on a Katana project, wouldn't it be roughly the same deal with my 79 GS1000?

http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/patrick/p.../chain_tunnel/ then click on chain tunnel.

"If somethin gets in my way I go round it!"

Also, do I dare do this?
    Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM. Reason: direction and foto.

m8 i did a search using keywords; wider, rear

surprisingly no likns came up about my ex-wife

but there was a lof of threads about all manner of issues varying on bike models and size
    here >> http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...earchid=158394

issues bout model of swing arm required - fitting issues - whether or not a wider rear actually has any benefit to these older bikes etc etc

too many to list indivdually - but have fun browsing them - you might at least get some tips on the right direction or be able to PM those that appear to have tried....

cheers

Phark

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
      m8 i did a search using keywords; wider, rear

surprisingly no likns came up about my ex-wife

I hate when Mountain Dew comes out my nose.......:shock:

\\/ ROTFLMFAO\\/

Comment

That Katana is using an 8" car rim and like a 300 series rear tire for a rear wheel. Unless your going stupid wide for a show bike, there's no reason to hack up your frame like that.

oldskoolsuzuki is a wealth of information regarding GS'es (they call them GSX's over there) and early GSXR's and modifying in general. Cruise around their info board and you could learn tons....

Comment

I run a 160 on the rear of my bike with no trouble. Shim the front sprocket a bit and everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL View Post
            oldskoolsuzuki is a wealth of information regarding GS'es.. you could learn tons....
            Yeah that was my point. No, no 300 tire here. I just want to stuff it for looks and therefore concidering the possibilities.

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            I run a 160 on the rear of my bike with no trouble. Shim the front sprocket a bit and everything is fine.
            Kool! What year bike and which wheel tire combo? If you don't mind me askin. (70% '85 GS700EF/30% GSX-R) By chance a GSX-R swing arm?
            Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2006, 03:07 PM. Reason: spleh-ing mainly

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
              Yeah that was my point. No, no 300 tire here. I just want to stuff it for looks and therefore concidering the possibilities.

Kool! What year bike and which wheel tire combo? If you don't mind me askin. (70% '85 GS700EF/30% GSX-R) By chance a GSX-R swing arm?
              Stock swingarm. The '88 and '89 GSXR 750 models used a 4.5" wheel which is the most you will fit in the stock arm. Some of the later Bandits and Kats use the 4.5" wheel. I have a '93 swingarm I had thought about using mainly just to be able to upgrade the shock until I picked up a low mileage Works shock cheap. To make the swingarm work the frame has to be ground down where the pivot bolt goes through. The linkages are just the opposite between the two bikes so mounting points woud have to be fabbed.

Comment

Arnout's site has some info
                Here you can find out how I turned an old and stock motorcycle into something that can easily keep up with modern plastic and that also looks good too!

Comment

Working...
                X