painted Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painted Carbs

I'm plainning on painting my engine black, and want the carbs to match. Has anybody done this yet, and if so, any tips? I did pick up a spare set for 30 bucks on EBAY today (gotta love it ), so I can practice. I would think as long as I stuff em with rags, and tape the openings up good, I should be fine. High temp paint ya think? I'm thinking so, just for the extra coverage, and to match the engine block.

Sounds the go!! fully strip the carbs; including off the rack, good oportunity to fit an o-ring kit etc.

Dink

Comment

The high temp paint I have used, hardens up with high temperature which you hopefully:shock: wont get at the carbs (unless you bake them in an oven).
      Just a hint - donīt know the type of your paint.

Stig
      77 GS550B

Comment

Dink, the carbs were cleaned last year...due to the bike not starting. This time, I just plan on tearing them down and shooting a rattle bomb at them. Thinking I am going to leave the bowls and top covers bare, and polish them. Kinda match what I'm going to do to the block.

Comment

I will be doing the same with my new project... painted engine and carbs. Let us know how it turns out. What kind of paint are you using?
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Boat carbs have ben painted black a long time....

Might ask a boat engine repair place what kind of paint they use, it's hard and must be fuel resistant too.
            Fairly glossy, maybe semi-gloss?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I just painted my two-barrel carbs for my GS550ES. Yep tape up the ports and fuel and vacumm nipples. Get the good and clean. I wiped mine down with laquer thinner just before applying my first coat of grey primer to ensure best adhesion then two light coats of chrome paint.

Yes I'm a chrome **** :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
                I just painted my two-barrel carbs for my GS550ES. Yep tape up the ports and fuel and vacuum nipples. Get the good and clean. I wiped mine down with lacquer thinner just before applying my first coat of grey primer to ensure best adhesion then two light coats of chrome paint.

Yes I'm a chrome **** :-)
                Alright, mister.... get with the program! You can't make a post that says "I just painted...." without including pics! PICS, PICS!!
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Yeah....what bruce said! Anyway, I will probably run down to Pepboys, and pick up some engine paint. I'm going to try to find the wrinkled finish matte black...but it will probably just be a standard matte black. The carbs should be clean...I bead blasted them last year, and bonus, they still work. Pretty sure if I seal them up for painting, like I did for blasting, they will be OK. Does anyone know if the silver paint on the engine is clearcoated? If it is, I forsee a PITA getting that prepped for paint. My blasting booth aint big enough for a whole engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                    Yeah....what bruce said! Anyway, I will probably run down to Pepboys, and pick up some engine paint. I'm going to try to find the wrinkled finish matte black...but it will probably just be a standard matte black. The carbs should be clean...I bead blasted them last year, and bonus, they still work. Pretty sure if I seal them up for painting, like I did for blasting, they will be OK. Does anyone know if the silver paint on the engine is clearcoated? If it is, I forsee a PITA getting that prepped for paint. My blasting booth aint big enough for a whole engine.
                    I know the side covers and cam cover are cleared... not sure on the rest of the engine. I think the cases are cleared but the head is not. Is your engine removed? If so, some aircraft stripper would work great. That's what I plan on using on mine.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Engine is removed. I was hoping to avoid the paint stripper...makes such a mess. It gets into nooks and crannies, and its almost as hard to get off as paint once it dries...I'm thinking about steam cleaning, and scuffing with 400 grit, then spraying (another reason I want to use a textured paint...less prep work )

Comment

You can sort of see the painted carbs and polished lids and bowls in my Gallery pix.

There was basically no prep work before painting the carbs except taping off the lids and bowls. Notice I said taPing, not taKing. Yes the carbs stayed on the bike, the lids stayed on the carbs, they were just covered with tape. I did take the covers off the engine before painting. I sprayed carb cleaner in all the cracks and crevices, then used a toothbrush to clean it out, then sprayed some more. A couple of days later, the engine was dry enough to paint, and I had all the covers polished. A couple of coats of Dupli-Color brand engine enamel (Gloss Black, DE1613) covered everything. I think I got 2 of the 12-ounce spray cans and just barely used any from the second can. If anybody needs closer pictures, let me know, I can either send them to you directly or post them on Photobucket. You will get a quicker response if you send me a message at swoodin653 at aol dot com (you know how to put that together).

By the way, after a full summer of riding (just 12 miles shy of 6,000 miles) it is hard to see any wear and tear on the black paint. \\/
                        Oh, the 6,000 is just what SHE put on HER bike. I put about 12,500 on my Wing, and this is only since Memorial Day.

Last edited by Steve; 12-07-2006, 02:51 AM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow steve, thats exactly what I was thinking of doing for my bike's engine. Looks good man. How did you polish the head fins? Did you tape them, or just clean them up afterward with a sanding block?

Comment

i used a product called duplicolor adhesion promoter (clear) as a primer before painting my carbs. 10k miles later still hanging in!!
                            good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                              I know the side covers and cam cover are cleared... not sure on the rest of the engine. I think the cases are cleared but the head is not. Is your engine removed? If so, some aircraft stripper would work great. That's what I plan on using on mine.
                              I just sprayed some aircraft stripper on a section of the engine cases. It doesn't look like there was any clearcoat on it.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X