750 cafe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 cafe project

Well, it seems like there are quite a few of these projects going on. Anyway, here is mine.

I picked this up from a friend a couple months ago. The first thing I did was put some clubmans on, and I got to ride it a few times before the weather started to suck. My other bike is a 92 GS500, and I gotta say, I really like this bike. Very smooth engine.

The project is kind of slow going due to the lack of a heated garage (I got a couple months before I can ride it, so I might as well take my time).

Stock with clubmans:

Getting ready to hammer in the tank (took a lot of courage for that first hammer blow)

A little bit of trusty bondo. I haven't used this stuff in a few years, boy was I rusty.

Tank primed and getting ready to start fabbing the seat.

Comment

I really like the look of the original tail piece, so I decided to incorporate it into the new tail. I started by covering the original piece in aluminum foil and layering fiberglass over it.

Here is the new piece after I popped it of the original.

Here is the tank with the new paint scheme.

Comment

Here is a test fitting of the tank and the new tail piece.

The tank mods look a little harsh in this picture due to the flash. They look a lot better in person, although I might take a little more time later into the project to get them perfect. Then again, I might not. I kinda think a little imperfection goes with the character of the bike (and the rider).

Comment

Just another couple angles.

Things left to do this winter:

Finish fiberglassing/filling the tail piece.

Fabricate a seat.

Paint/polish wheels to keep with overall scheme.

Chop front fender

Paint calipers

Polish whatever I can get at

4-1 exhaust (when I find one for the right price)

Smaller gauges and/or a fairing

Pod filters and re-jetting (still weighing pros and cons on this)

Comment

but it was such a nice looking bike

Comment

Nice. Although I'm not a huge fan of the yellow accents. I think white accents would look better. Just my 2 cents though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                but it was such a nice looking bike
                Not really. The tank had plenty of little dings, nicks and surface rust. The seat was ripped and there is some pitting on the chrome.

Also, I am thinking about making some new rearsets for it. I would like to move my foot position back and up. Has anyone else done this from scratch? I looked into buying some and I can't justify spending half of my original investment on a pair.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2006, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I like it. Seems there are a lot of people on the boards here who apprieciate the old cafe' racers. Its a cool look. On your tail section, are you going to use the 'glassed piece as a mold, and pour foam or something into it, or are you going to use it as is? Seems like you will lose some of the detail of the original part, if you choose to use it as is, not too mention your dimensions will be bigger by the thickness of your glass all around. Nice project. Keep us updated

Comment

After another layer or two of fiberglass on the tail I will smooth it out with body filler, sand and paint it. The part is actually remarkably faithful to the original. It will be slightly larger, but that is part of the design.

One of my goals with this seat is to use the existing hinges and lock, instead of just bolting it to the frame. That way I will still have access to the battery, toolkit and registration. The original piece tapers too much to cover the rear hinge. I would have had to either cut a hole in the lip around the bottom or remove the hinge and just use the front (which felt kind of flimsy when I tried it). The slight difference in size and flexibility of the new piece makes it possible.

I am a little concerned about getting it smooth/even enough to make me happy. One nice thing about this part is that I have only spent about $25 making it so far, and if everything goes according to plan than I will be done for well under $50. So even if I have to scrap the whole thing I am not out a lot of money, although I seriously doubt that I will have to do that.

As for the yellow accents, I mulled over color choice for quite a while. Yellow just felt fastest. I have no other justification. My last tear down and repaint on my 500 resulted in a black and orange bike, so maybe I am just weird.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
                      After another layer or two of fiberglass on the tail I will smooth it out with body filler, sand and paint it. The part is actually remarkably faithful to the original. It will be slightly larger, but that is part of the design.

One of my goals with this seat is to use the existing hinges and lock, instead of just bolting it to the frame. That way I will still have access to the battery, toolkit and registration. The original piece tapers too much to cover the rear hinge. I would have had to either cut a hole in the lip around the bottom or remove the hinge and just use the front (which felt kind of flimsy when I tried it). The slight difference in size and flexibility of the new piece makes it possible.

I am a little concerned about getting it smooth/even enough to make me happy. One nice thing about this part is that I have only spent about $25 making it so far, and if everything goes according to plan than I will be done for well under $50. So even if I have to scrap the whole thing I am not out a lot of money, although I seriously doubt that I will have to do that.

As for the yellow accents, I mulled over color choice for quite a while. Yellow just felt fastest. I have no other justification. My last tear down and repaint on my 500 resulted in a black and orange bike, so maybe I am just weird.
                      Looks sweet beergood. I like the yellow - I think the black and orange would have been even better! Your tail section looks alot like some of Carpy's creations. You should check out this site for some ideas http://www.cb750cafe.com/

Keep it up man it looks great.

Comment

i dig that you used the stock tail for a mold!
                        i've always liked how those look and wanted to get my hands on one for cheap to make a casting off of for my bike, but right now i'm thinking i may just make a removable solo seat cover for the back half so the wife can ride when she wants. we'll see.

keep us posted on how yours turns out, cus i may still try to get my hands on one for my bike!
                        looks good but i think the yellow being a flat color makes it look a bit DIY. if you found some metallic yellow it might make it look a bit more like you had a prof paint job. you can go to many autobody paint supply stores and get them to mix you up an aerosol can of an actual auto paint color (just tell them its for touch-up or a small piece).

Honda's pearl yellow metallic from their S2000 is an awesome yellow color! best one i've ever seen IMO.
                        HTH.

Comment

The yellow is dupli-color's yellow ceramic engine block paint, and it is actually quite glossy. The photos didn't do a very good job of picking this up. I really like this line of paint. There aren't that many color choices, but the paint goes on very smooth, very glossy, and is pretty durable. There is still some of the inevitable tape edge marks between colors. I may try to polish those out, or I may pin-stripe white over them.

The black is dupli-color's semi-flat black. I have kind of a fetish for this paint. I have painted my mountain and single speed bikes with this paint, as well as my gs500, my old Audi GT and last year my 1995 F150. The truck took about 9 cans, and captured the interest of a couple neighbors who were wondering why I was taping off and painting a perfectly good truck in my driveway.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2006, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Hi beergood! really nice looking job, I noticed on your list of to do's you have "smaller gauges/ fairing" would that be just a small rounded 'bikini' type fairing, also are you going to drop the bars, bar end mirrors might look the part. Only reason I'm saying is I'm in the early stages of building a cafe racer myself. So always interested in what other people are doing. All the best.

Comment

Way to go, great work Beergood.
                              I'm also going to be doing some rearsets. What I'm thinking is using an aluminum square block 1in deep, 3in tall, and 3in wide. Then milling it into a T shape. Boring holes in the upper(horizontal) part of the T for the stock location mounting holes, and another in the longer, longatudal part of the T. These pegs http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...64878220QQrdZ1 are two piece and have a bolt holding the C setion that I will eliminate and a bolt bored into the peg which I'll retain for my mount. The C section is what mounts on a factory location and holds the folding spring.
                              Varying the longitudal sections location will increase or decrease the degree(height and rearness-is that understandable?) to which your foot placement is at.
                              One step better would be to make a multi-pin mount plate allowing for adjustable placement.
                              Again this is in my head so till I give it go who knows!! Good luck and keep up the awesome work!

Comment

Working...
                              X