National Cycle Street Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Cycle Street Shield

Any one have experience with a National Cycle Street Shield, or the Street Shield EX, or a similar windshield? They look like a cost effective way to get a little wind protection. I saw a low price of $78 so far.

I'm thinking of getting one for my 1100E, for use on an upcoming, long (600 mile each way) trip. I see that the Street Shield EX has a quick mount system, which might come in handy since I don't intend to leave it on all the time. But I think I like the smaller size of the regular Street Shield for a sleeker look.

I'm hoping that blocking some of the wind will reduce fatigue on the long ride. I'm wondering if the shield will affect steering or handling. Or if it might make the wind more turbulent. I also hope it doesn't make the bike look too dorky. All the pictures I've seen show it on cruiser style bikes, so I don't have a very good idea what it would look like on mine. I'd get the light smoke version I think.

I would appreciate some feedback from anyone more experienced with this type of thing.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2006, 03:08 AM.

Denydog,
    If that streetshield will fit our 82's, I might get one. That looks pretty good,as I hate those big bulky looking fairings.

Let me know if you get one friend.

Comment

I think Jethro has one like that on his GS.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward View Post
        Denydog,
        If that streetshield will fit our 82's, I might get one. That looks pretty good,as I hate those big bulky looking fairings.

Let me know if you get one friend.
        It should fit. It's listed under the GS1100E 82-83 in their bike finder on the website. It's probably a universal fit. As long as the bottom cut out fits around the 8 inch headlight, it should be OK. But I can always grind away if needed.

I think it's a good value for the temporary uses I want it for. Who knows, I might get to like it. It probably won't destroy the lines of the bike, but if I wanted a permanent shield, I'd probably spend more money and get something like a cafe style. I do like being in the wind most of the time, but for a 10+ hour ride, I don't know.

I'll probably get one in January or February, after the credit card cools off from the Christmas season. I still haven't decided between the standard or the slightly larger quick mount EX version.

I found the lowest price at MAW. They have a lot of other stuff I might need, and at great prices. Nelson Rigg rain suit, and a N-R tank bag to match their tail pack I bought a few month ago. I'm also looking at a heated grip kit. I'm planning to go to the STN West Coast Meet in May, and I don't want to look too out of place. I got to get the touring part of sport touring down
        Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

You might also check out the Maier brand of universal mount screens. A bit cheaper. Here's a Dennis Kirk link:http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...0502&brand=465

JC Whitney has them too and also offers a couple of other styles by the same company.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

The Maier's are round handlebar mount so if your bike uses clip on style they won't work.

I like mine, it's more of a bug catcher than a wind breaker.

Yeah, it's cracked, dropped the bike in a campground in DE. Doesn't work any worse, tho'.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2006, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Here's how mine looked on my 83 1100

It is a good windshield.
            Only issue I had is my faceshield wouldn't stay open at speed when using it.
            But that is minor.
            Does a fine job of taking the wind off of the chest region.
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, especially the 1100. They don't look too bad at all. You guy's ought to check out the mockup I posted as a joke over at Sport-touring.net

Welcome to Sport-Touring.Net! For aficionados of sportbikes and sport touring.

Comment

I have installed the National Cycle "Deflector DX' on my '82 11E.....it provides some protection, but with my 'Superbike' bend bars (couple inches lower than stock) and my 6' height the wind hits at about eye level....the wind is fine, but the accompanying noise is annoying on longer rides, and requires a bit of a crouch to find a relatively still and silent pocket. You might find the Street Shield line better if you are taller than I...if not, the Deflector line will work out fine for you, mounted on the higher stock bars that you are running....and look a lot sleeker than the larger Street line. FWIW, I picked up the shield and mounting hardware new on ebay for less than 1/2 the listed price. I plan on trying a couple ideas next season to kick the wind a few inches higher with some rubber edging trim on the shield....if it does not do the trick, I will pick up a Street EX screen and hack it a little to suit my needs (the quick- mount hardware appears to be the same as the Deflector, so I can probably switch back & forth between the two screens) . Here is a pic with the Deflector DX . Once you ride with a properly setup screen, you probably won't enjoy riding 'naked' again , esp. at speed on the highway .

Tony.

'82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Mysuzyq, your bike looks great! That's one clean machine! I love the 1100's with minimal or tastfully done mod's. I almost got the red one, but the dealer didn't have that color in stock in spring of '82.

Comment

Thank you, kind sir! Your own steed looks pretty fine as well...the champagne is one of my fav 1100 colors...in part because they are pretty rare up here...I have only seen one! Merry Christmas!

Tony.
                    Last edited by Mysuzyq; 12-24-2006, 10:05 PM.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Got the shield today

I just installed the Street Shield EX. As alluded to earlier, I was torn between the regular Streetshield, and the slightly larger EX. I'm extremely happy with it. The quick mount system on this model means I can pop it on or off in less than a minute.

I'm still playing with the height adjustment. I can look way over it or through it by adjusting the height and amount of tilt.

I also recently picked up some luggage. Going to do some sport touring!

Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2007, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Looks great.
                        Damn, that thing is so clean, it should be a BOTM\\/ \\/
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Nice bike, but engine needs to be black!

Comment

Hey Jon (Denydog)...I'd missed this thread before.

Anyway, after seeing your bike today on our ride, the new windscreen does look great on your 1100. Of course you won't get as much protection as my bigger and dorkier screen affords me... but still, any break you can get on a long ride, is better than nothing.

BTW, I checked out the pic, of your trial mock-up, via the link to s.t.-net. And I love it... especially the cardboard box

Later -

Comment

I had a deflector DX on my EZ for awhile. My EZ has superbike bars as well, and I am 5'10". Buffetingand subsequent wind noise around the helmet area, but it does a good job of keeping the wind and rain off my chest. I had to drop my head about an inch or so to find a quiet spot. With no windshield, and earlpugs, it is darn near silent inside the helmet without all that wind buffeting, even at 70mph, but a long trip would be exhuasting....
                              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
                              X