Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Securing some luggage... What am I looking for here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing some luggage... What am I looking for here?

Okay, I definitely have other stuff to work on before I get around to worrying about what I'm going to be hauling around on my 650, but I caught myself daydreaming about commuting to work today, and that made me wonder how I'm going to secure anything to my GS.

I've got an '81 GS650G, with the mostly-flat stock seat and the pillion rider handle ( see part #2 here), and it occurs to me that it might be difficult to mount anything substantial--I'm kind of eyeballing some of the Rapid Transit gear, something like the Platoon, Division, or Battallion bags.

So my question is, what kind of hardware do I need to securely mount most stuff for transport..? Should I look into getting some kind of sissy bar or luggage rack or something, or can I work with what I've got? This is my first bike, so I'm kind of a dork/noob/bonehead about this stuff

Comment

LOL! Concerns allayed..! Thanks Jim

Comment

I threw a couple duffel bags over the back seat and lost them on the freeway. They were run over 10 times before I wrote them off. After that I bought some Eclipse Bags. Easy on, easy off, weather proof and work great ! Im on my second set.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

How about a pair of saddlebags?
          Easy to put on and take of if necessary. I got my Saddlebags, Leather Jacket and a Full-face helmet for my daughter from these folk http://motodirectusa.com/ and I am very happy with their prices, response time and quality of their goods.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

Scour Ebay until you find a K&G luggage rack for that size of bike, and fabricate a bracket. Some of the K&G racks come with a sissy bar, either fixed or adjustable. The rack will carry a lot. Good soft saddle bags can also work well. I took a 7500 miles trip on a GS650G that way. Not a hint of a problem.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
            X