Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Cast coat aluminum" Duplicolor paint

Hey Guys,

Found a Duplicolor hi temp engine paint called "cast coat aluminum"....gave it a try on my valve cover, and hit it with some high temp clear, too. Turned out great! Think the whole engine is getting done in that color now, as opposed to re-doing the stock silver color!! Have the counter shaft cover stripped and polished, the iginition cover polished and clear coated and my 'new' lower fork legs painted and clear coated, and 'new' triples painted. Winter project is coming along nicely, I would say! \\/ Racetech springs and emulators are installed, too. Need to strip and repaint the rims, next.....

Also stripped and painted/clear coated an extrememly goopy, nasty oil pan, too!
    Last edited by Cassius086; 01-15-2007, 07:56 PM.
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

I just got the same paint, and was going to apply it to my red tank as stripes. I love their high-heat paint. The finish is so much nicer and more durable than regular paint.

How about some pics of your work?

Comment

It would be great to see some pics!

Comment

Cast coat

I hven't started my bike yet so I can't vouch for durability. I will say that it looks great. I'm sure durability has more to do with prep and conditioning. I cured the paint with a heat gun so I have high hopes that it will last. It sure looks nice though.

Comment

I can try to do so this week. Have to bum a digital camera, and sign up to a hosting service...or if somebody doesn't mind, could I email some pics for somebody to host for a bit??????

also, 0000 steel wool used to apply mother's aluminum polish is INCREDIBLE!! If y'all had seen the counter shaft sprocket cover before I got it cleaned up and polished, you would never have believed it would have come clean. This afternoon, after I put up the first post, I stripped the clear off the ignition cover and used the stell wool/mothers combo (didn't do it before I cleared it the first time) and voila! 100% improvement. It shines so clear you think you can almost reach into it.

Question: will I need to buff those peices to get the residual polish off the covers so that paint will adhere to it???
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
            Question: will I need to buff those peices to get the residual polish off the covers so that paint will adhere to it???
            I'm not entirely sure, but it has been my experience that a surface can never be too clean before you paint it.

If you send me a few pics I can host them for you.

Comment

I shall send them them your way in a day or so.....
              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Ooooh, Race Tech emulators... very swanky stuff there!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post

also, 0000 steel wool used to apply mother's aluminum polish is INCREDIBLE!!
                  Another good tip I got from a forum member that works awesome is applying mother's with Scotchbrite scubbing pads. Works so good it should be illegal!
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

engine prep

Mcmaster Carr sells a dremel bit that has scotch brite material on it. I used that on all the nooks and crannys. I did manage to get all of the clear coat off before I applied the paint. I would second the notion that the cleaner the surface is the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Ooooh, Race Tech emulators... very swanky stuff there!
                      Got 'em from a buddy who deals RaceTech. He is a suspension GURU! Got the 1.0kg straight rate RaceTech springs as well...all at a smokin' deal, to boot. Gonna get some Ikon rear shocks, too. CAN'T WAIT!!
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Alright, have pics...need an email from Beergood....:-D
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                        X