Caliper Exhaust Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper Exhaust Paint

I have to paint my headers again for next year. I used high heat flat black paint followed by a coat of high heat clear last year. It looked great for a couple of months but began to look shabby after awhile. I'm debating whether to use black caliper paint. It has a gloss shine, thicker paint coat and a bit of heat resistance. My concern is of course if the paint will stand up to the header temperature. Has anyone tried caliper paint before? Thanks Ted

Good info from another forum on exhaust paint here: http://www.yamaha-rd.com/forum/topic-523.html

Comment

I used high heat paint once and it didn't take long for it to bake off.

I've had good luck with BBQ paint. I used a flat black version, but I think they also make a gloss one. I think there are even a couple different colors, which could definitely provide some funky results.

(I'm not recommending this product or anything, just did a quick search for colored grill paint and got this)

Comment

The biggest issue is the prep work. If you don't get the pipes clean the paint won't stick. The last time I did mine I used a sandblaster to get down to bare metal and used some high temp rattle can paint. I can't remember if it was BBQ grill or the automotive high temp stuff.

Comment

how is the paint deteriorating? Is it fading? is it chipping off?.... turning a sort of green and yellow plad?

Beerman
          Paint chipping off usualy is caused one of three things.
          1) inproper application, prep, too thin, surface not etched.. etc, but I'm not going to make any presumptions on your painting abilities.

2) paint is too brittle/hard. this is especialy bad if the object being painted vibrates, twists or expands and contracts....

3) Exceed heat limit. exceed the heat limit, and it changes the paint. it can become brittle

or it can be a cr@ppy batch... stuff happens.

Comment

The paint doesn't chip off but fades to a point where it's really dull and unappealing to the eye. Ted

Comment

In terms of durability, ceramic coating is hard to beat, and may be worth considering....available in either glossy or a more flat black (along with 'chrome',silver etc). Obviously more expensive than paint, but it should last for years without significant fading/chipping/rust problems.

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Check these coatings out.

Comment

Ted. you probably exceeded the heat limit of the paint. this is especialy probable closer to the engine.

If it is fading elsewhere, then either the paints didn't cure properly, or you got a bad batch.

Comment

Ceramic Paint

I had my entire exhaust painted with the ceramic paint last spring. I ran the bike all summer and the paint looks as good as it did when it was done. I would have to say that durability is good.

Comment

Working...
                    X