Best looking gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best looking gauges?

This is a corollary to my post in the tech section...

So which year/model of GS has the best looking gauge cluster? Or is there a completely non-GS source which is easy to adapt? What I *don't* like is a big one-piece hunk of plastic. I'd prefer a more minimal look. My 650 E gauges have the speedo and tach out on their own, then the idiot lights a separate piece wedged in the middle. I like that look OK, but I'm having a heck of a time finding another set of 650 E gauges after mine were ruined.

So what can I find readily on eBay (or whatever) and easily adapt?

sent you a PM

Comment

How about a set from a 79 GS550

I just finished these up tonight. I removed the idiot cluster and gear selector and installed LED's in the top of the headlight. I modified the gauge holder and then welded in a reinforcement plate. Then I stripped the trim around the glass and gave them a brushed finish.

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman76 View Post
        I just finished these up tonight. I removed the idiot cluster and gear selector and installed LED's in the top of the headlight. I modified the gauge holder and then welded in a reinforcement plate. Then I stripped the trim around the glass and gave them a brushed finish.
        Very nice. Like the look of those!

I'd actually like to keep the gear indicator and such. Yeah, I know it's unnecessary foof but I like stuff like that. ;-) I'll have to take a look at what's left of the idiot lights and see if there's something salvagable to be clever with...

Got any more pics -- different angles and such?
        Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2007, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Nice, not sure why I didn't think of that pattern when I put LEDs in my headlight bucket... D'oh!

Comment

Theres a new tach on ebay right now that looks just like that one. Im not sure about the application but its listed in the 1100 area at least. heres the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Woot. Think I found a direct replacement for my stocker:

Found it by searching for "idiot". ;-) ;-)

Comment

somebody on this site used gauges from Bandit 400. They were a direct bolt on & both use a cable. They really looked smart, simple, uncluttered exactly what I'm looking for.

Paul
                80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I'm going this route, eventually:

Comment

Sweet. But expensive.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Acewell makes some nice gauges: http://www.electrosport.com/electros...edometers.html

I'll be using the 3900 as part of my project.

Comment

Well I'm looking for a cheap-o solution. Browsed for some bandit gauges on eBay and those are nice looking! All the sets listed right now are really expensive or damaged though. Also it looks like they have an electronic tach...

Comment

Yeh, that's why they have to be Bandit 400 gauges.
                          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                            Yeh, that's why they have to be Bandit 400 gauges.
                            Right. Gotcha.

Comment

By the way, where did you get those nice mountable LEDs? Can you wire those straight-up as a replacement for the original bulbs or do they need additional circuitry or anything?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X