Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel tank repainting project - got some junk in there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank repainting project - got some junk in there!

Hello all-
    Today, I started the first step of my gas tank repainting project. I had taped up the tank holes very well to ensure that nothing got in there while I worked on the surface.

Despite my best efforts, it appears that some paint chips and possibly a few drops of water are inside the tank.

I am done stripping the paint, but I have some days of good weather up ahead and don't want this to stop me from proceeding. What can I do to get that stuff out of there effectively? Can I flush the tank out with lots of water, and just wait for the inside to thoroughly dry before refilling the gas?

I'm afraid that if I leave it, the chips will stick to the inside walls and I'll be stuck. It would run the risk of gumming up the carbs later.

Any help is appreciated!

I'd say prime and seal it, maybe even paint, then worry about what may have gotten in. This way you avoid having to sand and prep multiple times due bare steel.

Comment

Thanks, Jonesti- that's not a bad idea. After all, I might get stuff in there during the next round of priming. (of course, i'll seal up the holes again)

I guess the only remaining question is... can i use water to flush out the junk in there? is that harmful at all?

Brian

Comment

I'd use alcohol. I work in a chemical plant and have access to railcars of methanol.

Comment

rubbing alcohol is all I have here- would a few containers of that be okay?

I'm assuming alcohol would be best because it would evaporate fully and not leave humidity in the tank. Is that your thinking?

Thanks!
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by peer2all View Post
            rubbing alcohol is all I have here- would a few containers of that be okay?

I'm assuming alcohol would be best because it would evaporate fully and not leave humidity in the tank. Is that your thinking?

Thanks!
            Brian

You gotter!

Rubbing alcohol is IPA. Just as good.

Comment

A good alcohol rinse should do the trick.

I got a couple pieces of crap in my tank during my project. I got most out with some compressed air. I was never able to get it all out, there is one small piece that rattles. I decided that I could accept that. I think the filter on the petcock should keep that out, and hell, who am I kidding thinking that some small particulate matter hasn't fallen in the tank over the last 30 years.

You can't make an omelet without braking a few eggs.

Comment

I think I'll do a combination of your ideas-

first, apply the primer and sealant to keep me from having to tape/retape the holes again and again.

second, pour a container of rubbing alcohol in there to swirl around the junk and dump it upside down (hopefully bringing the stuff out with the alcohol) I think I'll pour it over a white paper towel so I can see if I got all the particles.

third, once the alcohol is dumped and evaporated, I'll use compressed air to blast anything remaining out of the hole.

Great ideas, everyone. Thanks!
                Brian

Comment

Working...
                X