No announcement yet.

test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of the taste is dependent on diet and age. Usually bucks are much stronger, gamier tasting due to the hunting season timing, they're in rut at that time so the testosterone level is real high. I prefer Bambi' and does for the freezer, especially if they've been well fed in farmer's fields and wild rice swamps.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
      A lot of the taste is dependent on diet and age. Usually bucks are much stronger, gamier tasting due to the hunting season timing, they're in rut at that time so the testosterone level is real high. I prefer Bambi' and does for the freezer, especially if they've been well fed in farmer's fields and wild rice swamps.:-D
      Any truth to them tasting better first shot?

Bambi? Are you allowed to shoot fawns?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
        Any truth to them tasting better first shot?

Bambi? Are you allowed to shoot fawns?
        Not spotted ones, but yearlings are still bambi's. We have such an over population of deer here, I can take 3 in Bow season and two more with a rifle when that season opens as long as I pay for all the tags. Only one has to be a buck now. If I did muzzle loader black powder tthen I could even go for another couple. And then of course, there are the ones you take with your driver's license.........:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Not spotted ones, but yearlings are still bambi's. We have such an over population of deer here, I can take 3 in Bow season and two more with a rifle when that season opens as long as I pay for all the tags. Only one has to be a buck now. If I did muzzle loader black powder tthen I could even go for another couple. And then of course, there are the ones you take with your driver's license.........:-D
          Yeah, they're real bad around here as well. Actually my parents just hit one the other night.

Comment

I've always found venison to be too lean and dry. Don't like the taste. I have had some great venison jerky before, though. My Mom and my wife have both tried cooking venison. Yuck.

Maybe y'all are better at it.

I'd rather have buffalo.

Comment

Crock it!

Originally posted by Desolation Angel View Post
              I've always found venison to be too lean and dry. Don't like the taste. I have had some great venison jerky before, though. My Mom and my wife have both tried cooking venison. Yuck.

I'd rather have buffalo.
              Nothing like a nice tenderloin in a Crockpot of deer stew all day... It pretty much falls apart just like beef at that point.

I prefer to have it processed with 20% beef fat for hamburger or sausage. Trying to cook it on the grill or medalions in a pan usually tend to be a little tuff. Especially trying not to eat it too rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel View Post

I'd rather have buffalo.
                Buffalo is amazing. Makes great burgers too.

Comment

If Venison is too dry, your cooking it too long. pan fry it just long enough to get it warm in the middle. Yum, Yum.

You gotta mix Bob Evan's sausage in with ground venison tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                    If Venison is too dry, your cooking it too long. pan fry it just long enough to get it warm in the middle. Yum, Yum.

You gotta mix Bob Evan's sausage in with ground venison tho.
                    When I process my ground venison, it's mixed 30% pork and 70% venison. Cooks real well, and tastes great, since I have it made into several different sausage flavors for breakfast sausage.

Comment

Working...
                    X