Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll bars?

Hey all,

I have a 1981 GS750E and am interested in adding roll bars onto which I can attach some foot rests for those extra long rides. I've searched the forums for anything about roll bars but was unsuccessful in finding anything.

Just curious...

1) Does anyone have roll bars on their GS, or better yet, has anyone added roll bars? Please indicate source of parts / ease of installation.

2) Are there snap-on (quick-on for long rides, quick-off for looking sweet cruising around town) roll bars that anyone may have used for their GS?

3) Any suggestions AGAINST a mod like roll bars?

Thank you for your time any information you may be able to provide!

They're more frequently referred to as crash bars. Try searching that.

In order to install them you need to remove some of the engine mounting bolts, fit the bars, then put the engine bolts back in. I've never seen anything that's snap on.

They can be tough to find for bikes this old, try checking ebay as another option.

Comment

Ah, yes, CRASH BARS...many more results, thank you for the heads-up!

Comment

Try "case guards", too.

Comment

Ah yeah, good call. Case guards is probably more frequently used than crash bars. Hell, try highway bars while youre at it

Comment

...engine gaurds, highway gaurds/bars, case savers...

When I was looking for them on eBay, I created a *huge* search string to encompass all of the above. ;-)

Something like "(engine,highway,case,crash) (bars,gaurds,savers)".

Comment

Also called case guards

The case guards are smaller and closer to the cases, not big loops, but you still have room to mount footrests. Somebody here on the GSRmay have something laying around. Check the for-sale section, post in parts-wanted, or check Ebay.
              1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
              X