Best Paint color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Paint color

I just finished reading a great book titled "How to ride a motorcycle and stay alive" written by ??????? I'm in the basement typing this and too lazy to go see who the author is. If interested......let me know. Not a new book by any means. The pages are even a little yellow but still great advice. Anyway the author stresses the importance of being seen out in traffic however he does not mention bike color as being a factor.
    I'm in the process of painting my 1978 GS750EC and trying to decide on color. I'm trying to decide if I should only be considering a color scheme that I like or should I be more interested in choosing a color that makes me be more visible. My favorite color is Canary Yellow and I think it is a very visible color and stands out in a crowd of traffic. However, my wife says it would look like a circus clown bike and would psychologically not be taken seriously. Possibly some truth to that. I'm also told that another factor to a nice color is that the selected color must fit the bike and a color may look great on one bike and lousy on another. I'm sure that the cycle industry must have done studies on bike color......what color is most and least visible in traffic.......color schemes based on the bike style etc.
    I'm interested in your thoughts.
    Thanks!
    GS750GUY (Harold)

Here's my thoughts on it....

Actually yellow is a lot more visible, but at times I like to be able to disappear.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

black and silver !

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
        ......what color is most and least visible in traffic.......color schemes based on the bike style etc.
        I'm interested in your thoughts.
        Thanks!
        GS750GUY (Harold)
        Blue and white...Hard to miss.

Comment

I don't know. Silver kind of jumps out at you8-[
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I don't know....put "pink" always gets my attention :-D

Comment

I'm thinking Chartruse...It always seems to get the fishes attention, and that underwater, where its murkey

Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Blue and white look really nice and black, all black isn't bad.

Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

This looks good in silver and green the orange isn't too shabby either.

Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Forget all those other colors and get a "Real Man's" color combination - Porsche Red and Black!

ARRRGGGG!!!!

Hap

Comment

I've got two silver bikes and two silver cars. So I guess I'll go with silver.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

As far as safety goes, I imagine white would be the most visiable color you could paint your bike. But in my mind, being more visiable is only an advantage at night through the use of lights. The average driver is scared of bikes, and being more visiable can create an unsafe condition when drivers freak out becasue a bike is nearby. Then there are the people who are obviously trying to kill cyclists for sport or rage. You don't want to make yourself a better target. Remember that people in cages can get what cyclists call point fixation as well. Motoriststs that are focusing on your highly visiable paint tend to focus less on the road ahead. It's truely a double edge sword.

The key is to ride like you are invisiable no matter what your paint is, becasue on a bike you might as well be.

So I'd say to paint your bike any color you like, but that's just my opinion.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Bike color

Thanks guys and gals for the pictures! Great looking bikes!! The problem is.......I like em all......except for the pink that is.........although it really does stand out.
                          GS750guy (Harold)

Comment

I read somewhere that bike color is not a significant contributor to safety. Reason being most collisions are head-on where they can barely see the color anyway (or something like that).

That said, I still feel safer on a red bike (my new color) than a dull black one (old color).

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                              Forget all those other colors and get a "Real Man's" color combination - Porsche Red and Black!

ARRRGGGG!!!!

Hap
                              Actually, I prefer Black and Porsche Red!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X