Dual Element Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Element Signals

Ok, for those of us who have bought these signals...

I really wanted a dual element front and since I have not had any luck finding a dealer that carries them, I have figured out a way to mod the single elements to dual element. The lamp base is standard sized, so you can take the guts from any signal that uses an 1157 bulb (I used a set of VTX signals that were collecting dust) and transplant it to the socket in the signal. The socket will probably have to be cut a little, to account for the offset pins, and keyed lamp base. I think I also found a bulb that will work, out of the drag specialties catalog. Problem is the bulbs are sold in packs of ten, and they're $3.40 a piece...Ouch. So, I am going to be happy with a single element, unless I can get some others who want to make this mod happen to go in with me on the bulbs. Send me a PM if you want to in on bulbs. For a nominal fee, I'll mod your signals too. Probably like 10 bucks per signal, plus parts...

Mike, I bought similar sigs on ebay. They were three wire, dual element. That's what attracted me to them. Wiring was easy. The third wire connects to the tail light, or the head light power source. Now my lights are always on, and also flash brighter when I use the turn sig.

These are the lights I got.

Also, the dual element bulb in the size that fits this assembly was available at my local Honda shop. I broke one, and freeked out thinking I couldn't find a replacement. They were $1.99 each. They have offset pins on the sides.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I checked my local shop...No luck. But, now that I see the link, I may just buy those, and fix up the now superpolished one I have, and sell the others as single filament "new in box." Thanks for the link!

Comment

I am using single element lights up front on mine. They function as running lights and turn signals. All it takes is a relay with normally closed contacts. The turn signal wire is connected to the coil of the relay. This opens the normally closed contact, turning off the running light to flash as a turn signal.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
          I am using single element lights up front on mine. They function as running lights and turn signals. All it takes is a relay with normally closed contacts. The turn signal wire is connected to the coil of the relay. This opens the normally closed contact, turning off the running light to flash as a turn signal.

Gary
          I have a 80 550 and want running lights. What relay did you use and will it work on my bike? Is the wiring easy to install also?

Brian

Comment

Various styles including the one in your picture. Choice of single or dual filament. Just bought a set of singles there myself (same style as yours in fact). I've got dual in the back and single in front, as it was stock.

Comment

Working...
            X