Suggestions for my 81 gs650g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for my 81 gs650g

I have recently purchused a 81 gs650g and I was looking for some ideasto spruce it up.

It's been recently painted indian red ( this photo does it absolutley no justice )

I need to find a luggage rack , ( I can't find one I like )

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

This picture is a little more artsy, but it shows the colour better.

Comment

What kind of mods do you have in mind? Do you want it to look better, perform better, or both? What's your taste like in bikes and what do you have in mind for this bike?

Comment

I was thinking more cosmetic

hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by chadwikket View Post
          I have recently purchused a 81 gs650g and I was looking for some ideasto spruce it up.

It's been recently painted indian red ( this photo does it absolutley no justice )

I need to find a luggage rack , ( I can't find one I like )

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
          personally,i dont see anything cosmetic that it needs.are you looking to make it more cafe like,more radical custom,more cruiser,or what?
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of more cruiser like. I haven't really worked on motorbikes before, so i need to start of simple .

Comment

2-tone

some white or gold stripes, scallops or other trim. Either paint or get vinyl graphics made at a sign maker, it's not much $$.

Have a look through www.suzukicycles.org for what they've done through the years.

Comment

not a shabby lookin bike if I do say so myself. I have the same model, '81, with the luggage rack and the seat grab bar. I don't know if your seat has been recovered, but I think it has and they left off the grab bar.

when I first got my bike I was less than thrilled with it's style, I had always pictured myself with a harley type, or that look anyway. I have been making the changes as things break, the first was the tank and that made a lot of difference. My original was rusted out so it had to be replaced, so I found an L model tank that would fit with minor fabrication (read a piece of plywood to span the gap at the rear mounts )

crash guards, buckhorn handlebars (altho they are not positioned quite right as the brake line is too short to lean them back, so they're too far forward, but brakes are not something I want to mess with quite yet. a chromed fender, replete with rust pits started, a bit of chromed rear fender that was cut off some random busted wreck

my biggest change was probably the mufflers. I didn't want to bugger up the nice factory ones, so I got a set from a parts yard that had been cut off at the end, leaving the megaphone only, no baffles. I cut off the cones of both, welded a washer on the end to restrict the flow a bit, and clamped on some harley aftermarket turnout/slashcut pipes.

all of this, and it still looks like a UJM. I'm pretty happy with that now, but with all this in mind, I would say "love it as it is, or go buy a cruiser..."

here's a link to a few of these mods, and here's a pic of nearly current...

edit to add a more recent pic
                Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I defenetly miss the grab bar as my old bike had one. I'm having trouble finding a luggage rack.. I've been scowering Ebay and just kind of looking around the internet but with no luck. Any idea where I should look? I have also been looking into the side bags... This is all so exciting..

Thanks for your input

Comment

Working...
                  X