Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 78 GS1000 with mods

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would share the newest addition to the family. I traded my drag bike project (79 GS 1000) for this 78 GS 1000 with some of the mods already done + it is a runner. It still needs a little fine tuning, but should be killer once I get new rubber and a chain.

Mods:

mid to late 80s GSXR front end, brakes and rotors, rear swing arm + brakes and rims, Koni adjustable shocks on rear, and cheap pods.

She just had the top end rebult and a freash paint job. Even with dry rotted tires, she does crazyh burn outs! What do you think?

very nice!!!!!!!!!

Comment

holy crap dude, that thing looks wicked! I am not the world's biggest fan of flashy naked bikes, but that is well balanced. the old with the new, and that fresh shine! whoo!

Comment

AWESOME! buying an already modded machine is the way to go if the mods are the right ones.l`d say those are good choices,especially the suspension.l`m not a fan of USD forks on early bikes so that early gixer front end is a keeper.The paint? l can`t really talk since the 1100 l just bought is Exactly the Same color!

Comment

Love it! My kind of GS.

If you're looking for a suggestion for new tires, try a set of Michelin Pilot Powers. Amazing grip AND decent mileage - I just got 6000 miles out of a rear on my GSXR 750 and I tend have a heavy right wrist.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2007, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Very nice man.

The paint looks great.

What did the bike that you traded it for look like?

Comment

That bike looks great. I love the blue and white.

Did you say that's a swingarm from an early gixxer? Were the mounting points for the shocks welded on?

Comment

I will have to get some close ups of the rear swing arm and have some of the experts here on the board help me figure out exactly what it is.

Attached is the bike that I traded for it, a 79 GS 1000 + CASH. I was able to justify it to the wife by saying we would be saving money in the long run as the last project is now over budget by $3,000 and I have yet to put it back together...

The only thing about that bike that I like better than this one is the spoke wheels. I have allways loved the look of stainless spokes and gloss black rim hoops, mean look.......

Comment

Nice bike!! The swingarm looks to be from an '81-'83 GS1100E .... with a nice polishing job! I'm working on polishing one up for my '78 GS1000 project. I hope it turns out as nice as yours! Do you know which year/model the forks came from? They look like they are from an 1150 (click on my 1150 in my signature) unless some of the later bikes had the same anti-dive. Very nice indeed. :-D
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                  X