Hate your gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate your gauges?

I searched the world (internet) over and finally found a solution to my gauge problem. The problem was that I couldn't stand to look at the gauges on my '81 GS850G. UGGGGGLY. Whoever decided brown was a good color for a gauge face???

I considered getting an all in one gauge from Dakota Digital, but the whole set up was a bit too pricey for my blood.

This is from Acewell. The distributor I bought it from is Electrosport. I hope it works as good as it looks.

Just do what my brother told me to do about the ugly gauge problem. Ride without them :shock: lol

Comment

Hate your gauges?

Believe me, I've thought about it.

Comment

Which model did you end up getting, and how much did you pay?

Comment

I ordered the ACE-2852 in polished aluminium. Total cost $129. Not bad I say. One from Dakota Digital that does essentially the same thing (without a fuel gauge) cost around $440. I just ordered it yesterday and they didn't have that model in stock, so it will be a while before I can give a performance review.

Comment

Regarding the cost for a Dakota Digital speedo/tach... I included the cost of a mounting cup as well as a mounting bracket. All sold separately. Very nice stuff, but expensive.

Comment

did you have to purchase any adapters or anything like that for the speedo and tach?

Comment

Nope. It comes with them. Just tell them what model your bike is and they will supposedly send the right adapter for the speedo. The tach runs off a wire that wraps around the coil wire. Don't ask me how, but I'm sure someone on this site would know. The installation instructions are in one of the links I attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                  The tach runs off a wire that wraps around the coil wire. Don't ask me how, but I'm sure someone on this site would know.
                  The wire that is wrapped around the coil wire senses the changing magnetic field whenever the plugs fire. That sends a small signal to the tachometer, which interprets the speed based on the time between the pulses.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, thats the same as a timing light. I wonder how accurate that is at 8grand.

Pretty cool setup. I think I might go with that later! Hate to copy, but for 130, thats not bad!

Comment

That's a pretty slick setup...

Comment

A roughly 2 1/2" gauge replacing a setup that is huge and weighs a ton, yet still retains all of the functions except gear indicator? And apparently it's a lot more waterproof than other electronic gauges that have been listed here. I definitely want a pic of the installed gauge, any installation problems and performance rating!

Comment

Actually it's 64 mm wide, so that's like a 3 3/8 inch standard size gauge. I've found its hard to find an aftermarket gauge that size for a Suzuki or any bike except for a Harley. All I've been able to find is the mini gauges. They're great for some applications, but not what I was looking for. I just wanted a single gauge that did it all without paying an arm and a leg. Hopefully, I've found it.

It will be a little while before I can give you a review though. First of all, Electrosport didn't have it in stock, so they have to order it from Acewell, which could take a while. Also, I'm reworking the entire bike. This is just one of the sub-projects of the entire job. Winter will probably hit Iowa before it's ready to hit the street. But I'll post a review as soon as I can.

Comment

Working...
                          X