Cheapo Rear-Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapo Rear-Set

Thinking about flipping the pegs on my GS750L from side to side, resulting in the pegs coming back approx. 3 inches. Issue is what to do with the brake pedal and shifter arm.

Any ideas????

Originally posted by Texatl View Post
    Thinking about flipping the pegs on my GS750L from side to side, resulting in the pegs coming back approx. 3 inches. Issue is what to do with the brake pedal and shifter arm.

Any ideas????
    Buy bigger boots??
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Nice, don't think I didn't think of that while mocking it up last night 8-[

Comment

Can you measure your shift arm, and then compare to measurements from other bikes? Maybe the E's have different lenghts, since theoretically their pegs are in a different location? On your model, the brake lever does not pivot as part of the rearset, right?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it won't fit right on your bike, since it won't fit on mine.....

But an old trick I've read is to rotate the shifter arm/lever around 180 degrees and reversing the footpegs. The shift pattern will invert/reverse....it will be 1-up, 4-down. The shifter works great this way, but you have to fab some brackets or new pegs to get the peg-spacing to work correctly.

And I'll probably be trying something like this, but I won't be worrying about the rear brake since I very rarely use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludeykrus View Post
            I'm pretty sure it won't fit right on your bike, since it won't fit on mine.....

But an old trick I've read is to rotate the shifter arm/lever around 180 degrees and reversing the footpegs. The shift pattern will invert/reverse....it will be 1-up, 4-down. The shifter works great this way, but you have to fab some brackets or new pegs to get the peg-spacing to work correctly.

And I'll probably be trying something like this, but I won't be worrying about the rear brake since I very rarely use it.
            Yikes it would take forever to get used to that....id end up blowing my trany all over the road..lol Raask makes some good rearsets for just about every bike, and they are resonably cheap (couple hundred or less) AND they have all or most of the linkage and some instruction on the best way to mount to your model. You can check em out on www.omarsdtr.com go to rearsets and go all the way to the end page and click on raask sets i think.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Yikes it would take forever to get used to that....id end up blowing my trany all over the road..lol
              That's my fear, lol! I'll be trying it soon though. It shouldn't be TOO bad.....I know a number of older CB cafe guys did it. Here's another place to consider for making a set of rearsets:

http://www.tarozzipaolo.com/inglese/home.htm

There are sets for bikes, and generic sets to DIY adapt to your bikes. Look under "Footpegs".

Comment

Damn, that would be kind of cool....never even considered it. I had old Triumphs and a Norton, all right-side shifters (which I still prefer, but I'm used to shifting on the wrong side). The Norton was a '71, so it was a four-speed, one up, three down. It really is a much better pattern than the standard way, once you're sued to it. Faster shifting and a little more intuitive.
                "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Actually I think pushing down to go up would eliminate a lot of missed shifts. My XS has a clunky tranny and I'd love to have the action reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by Texatl View Post

Any ideas????
                    It would probably be easier to fit something like gsxr footrests on spacer brackets for a couple of reasons

1- they are cheap on ebay
                    2- they have linkages which keep will allow you to keep the lengths & feel of the original foot controls

worth looking at as a cheap option imo :-D

Comment

I don't know what year yours is, but mine is a 79 750, and I tried this. I wasn't at all worried about learning to shift in reverse. The problem I ran into is this: The spacing on the two mounting holes aren't the same from side to side. One side is about half an inch wider than the other. Kinda ticked me off when I found out. This winter I will be retrofitting some gsxr ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Raask makes some good rearsets for just about every bike, and they are resonably cheap (couple hundred or less)
                        You and I have radically different ideas of cheap.

Initial cost of my bike: $600 bucks

and it was in decent mechanical/cosmetic shape. This seams to be comparable with other bikes I have seen for sale. An super-clean bike would probably never fetch north of $1500.

The Raask sets are priced a little under $300 (at least they were the last time I checked). That puts them at about half the purchase price of my bike. They are ridiculously simple mechanisms. Only a few moving parts, no electrical, and they aren't machined, they are cast metal.

Since I have owned my bike I have purchased the following items:

a spare engine (you never know): $45
                        another set of carbs: $60
                        replacement tail light: $30
                        fork gators: $15
                        various electrical crap: $30ish
                        clubmans: $20
                        battery: $40ish

Total: $240

So, I could have bought all of that stuff, or almost gotten a set of Raasks. Now, part of me knows in the grand scheme of things that $300 isn't really that much (hell, that's not even my monthly bar tab), but in perspective it seems kind of steep. I can do a chain conversion and replace a tire for less. Or do a complete dyna ignition in that same ballpark. A new 4-1 also, although you are way better off buying/trading used for that.

By the way, the cast metal is kinda crappy. A buddy has a set on a CB750 and the foot peg just snapped of the brake side while he was riding. He didn't lay it down or anything, it just broke. For that kind of money, they should at least be machined out of a quality metal.

I don't mean this to sound like I am attacking you, I am just a little peeved that these are our only off the shelf solution, and I don't think they are a good one.

Comment

I didnt say they were FREE --hehehehe....I agree with you that they arent exactly cheap when put in that context...but i dont have the tooling required to make my own. I threw it out there as an ALMOST bolt up and go solution. And i agree with you also that it does suck they are cast, and they are about the only available out of the box. I have a lead on an Italian company ive been told about, but have not researched it at all as of yet, simply because rearsets are the LEAST of my worries on my cafe at the moment. And Im STILL looking for a good 2v motor "just in case" Mine runs, but its ugly, couple broken fins and scuff and what not. The search continues...if you've worked out a decent idea for rearsets id love to see em!! At some point ill get to that portion of the project..And btw...i did beat a tank based on your suggestions and thread...its freakin CAKE...i feel like i could do some serious stuff to some tanks now. Many ideas, but MY BIKE first..hehe

TCK

Comment

I feel kinda like I highjacked this thread, which wasn't my intention.

I am going to try and get my hands on some GSXR rearsets. A buddy did something similar on his 1000 and the results are nice. All you need to do is a little bracket magic and master cylinder repositioning. Wait, did I say that was all you need to do, as if that were no big deal? I suspect that it will probably work out to being one to two days worth of work, but over the winter I can spare that kind of time. If I do it I will definitely create a detailed thread on the process.

CafeKid, have you posted any pics of your modified tank anywhere? I must have missed them if you did. And if you didn't, then you really need to get on it.

I got my 'just in case' motor a little over a month ago from a dude on ebay. He was listing it as local pickup, so that weeded a lot of people out of the bidding. It was a good working motor (or so he said, I haven't started it up myself) when he parted out his bike. I can attest to it being in decent looking shape when I got it. I plan on partially rebuilding and painting it, then swapping it with my current motor, and keeping that as my backup 'Holey Crap' motor. Best part is I got it for $45. A used stator goes for close to $90, so I consider it a deal. The dude was in Cleveland, which is coincidentally where my girlfriend is from, so I had her pick it up when she was visiting her parents. Saved myself some freeway time.

Comment

I guess im going to have to break down and go buy a new USB cable for my camera...or god forbid a new camera?? (geez...its getting to be not cheap to be on HERE...lol ) And ill get some snaps up...i just started laying some bondo on it tonight. Im not good with bondo really, so its a bit of an adventure with all those curves...And yes i too feel as if ive hijacked this thread...SORRY!! 8-[

Comment

Working...
                              X