Rim Paint? Yes I searched first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rim Paint? Yes I searched first

I'm wanting to paint my rim's black because it's a 77 and understandably the chrome has seen better days.

What I'm wondering is what is the best route as far as painting them meself at home? Advice on brand/type would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance

I'd recommend Rustoleum. Up here I use Tremclad which is made by the same company. It is tough stuff designed as a rust proof paint. It covers anything and everything. Available in spry cans or quart cans for brush on.

I pull the wheels. Wash with mineral spirits and use a wire wheel to scuff off any flakes followed bya light sanding and a tag rag to wipe up the dust. Mask off anything you want to keep paint free and spray a couple of coats.

Instead of paint, a lot of guys now go with powder coat either done professionally or with one of the powder coat kits sold at places like Harbor Freight. More expensive and fiddly as you'll need to pull off the tires and refit them afterwards.

IMHO paint is easiest for us shade tree mechanics.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
    Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      I'd recommend Rustoleum. Up here I use Tremclad which is made by the same company. It is tough stuff designed as a rust proof paint. It covers anything and everything. Available in spry cans or quart cans for brush on.

I pull the wheels. Wash with mineral spirits and use a wire wheel to scuff off any flakes followed bya light sanding and a tag rag to wipe up the dust. Mask off anything you want to keep paint free and spray a couple of coats.

Instead of paint, a lot of guys now go with powder coat either done professionally or with one of the powder coat kits sold at places like Harbor Freight. More expensive and fiddly as you'll need to pull off the tires and refit them afterwards.

IMHO paint is easiest for us shade tree mechanics.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
      Spyug.
      ++ 2 to that Spyug...it actually looks good, and its pretty damn tough too.. Here's my 77 750's in black...

Comment

they also DO make wheel specific paint !

i've even seen it in rattle can at walmart and autozone and even a kragen/schucks/checker

Comment

Originally posted by hotbox05 View Post
          they also DO make wheel specific paint !

i've even seen it in rattle can at walmart and autozone and even a kragen/schucks/checker
          You talking about just regular rim paint? Or are you saying that Rusto makes rim paint?

Comment

regular rim paint . i'd use rusto first then follow up with the rim paint as it's supposed to be semi-resistant to scratching and resistant to chemicals.

Comment

I appreciate the point in the right direction guys. I'm thinking some black rims and some nice 130 white walls front and back.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                ++ 2 to that Spyug...it actually looks good, and its pretty damn tough too.. Here's my 77 750's in black...

sweet lookin! who did the stripes? they're a nice touch.

Comment

I have a 1979 GS1000E I am looking to do this on.

Do you need to primer first? Also, would brake caliper paint work well / be as durable? I only ask as I know it would be a bit more chemical resistant.

What kind of paint options does one have for the forks? Powder coat or POR-15?

Thanks!
                  J

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                    sweet lookin! who did the stripes? they're a nice touch.
                    Dunno on the stripes, they were there when i bought her...Still lookin to do that paint for me this winter?? Im almost done with the body work and mock up, im thinkin by the middle of Jan i'll be ready for paint...going away from the gold tho, in favour of a brass colour...can ya colour match for me?? Thanks!

TCK

Comment

Working...
                    X